We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam coffee shop etiquette/manners?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
19 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam coffee shop etiquette/manners?

Hi everyone, I have a quick question for all of you.

I will be visiting Amsterdam for my first time this August and plan on stopping in a few coffee shops while I am there.

My question is:

Can you go into a coffee shop to just enjoy a cup of coffee/pastry and experience the ambiance or do you have to purchase smoking “goods.”

Do they prefer that you smoke or can you just get a drink and relax for a while?

Thanks for the help.

Happy travels,

Jason

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam coffee shop etiquette/manners?

It depends on the coffeeshop. Most will allow you to come in and just have a drink. But there are some that require you to purchase smoking products as well. Just ask whoever is behind the counter.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,924 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam coffee shop etiquette/manners?

I think the question of buying some product at that particular shop might be more likely if you brought out product to smoke bought somewhere else?

I think the vast majority of shops I have been in would gladly sell you a coffee and leave it at that.

And if you do run into a shop like that just move on down the street to a different shop.

Edited: 8:32 pm, July 23, 2013
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,838 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam coffee shop etiquette/manners?

When I go into a coffeshop and sit down at the bar (which invariably is there), they ask me what I want to drink (non-alcoholic of course). When I inquire about pot, I have to get up and go over to the budtender.

Just go in, sit at the bar, and order a cup of coffee.

Buffalo Area
Level Contributor
240 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam coffee shop etiquette/manners?

I usually travel to Amsterdam by myself, and have been in a lot of coffee shops. No one has ever told me that I had to purchase their smoking products.

Has anyone actually ever been told that they had to purchase some smoke in order to stay? If so, would you care to share the name of the shop?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam coffee shop etiquette/manners?

There are quite a few actually, mostly the shops in the city center. Bulldog, Old Church, Grasshopper, Dolphins and Bushdoctor to name a few. Don't assume that all shops will allow you to sit in there shop after spending a couple of euro on a cup of coffee. Please ask so you don't get embarrassed or read the house rules.

Buffalo Area
Level Contributor
240 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam coffee shop etiquette/manners?

Thank you Balou.

I have been in the coffeeshops you have mentioned, and never had anyone question where I had purchased my smoke. This is probably because I am an elderly gentleman not taking up much room. ;-)

L.A.
Level Contributor
318 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam coffee shop etiquette/manners?

Can you get an idea of what smoking is like just by sitting with a coffee and breathing deeply?

cb

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amsterdam coffee shop etiquette/manners?

cb, no you won't get a contact high.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,838 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amsterdam coffee shop etiquette/manners?

cb -

Why would you want to do that? Sounds kind of like making love in a wetsuit (to quote the movie).

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,924 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amsterdam coffee shop etiquette/manners?

No contact high.

But than I have seen people ask this question because they were afraid of failing a drug test back home. Just because they were going to be sitting in a coffeeshop.

No contact high but also no pos test either.

I highly recommend the experience. Even for a non smoker. They are truly unique places. And the coffee is normally quite good.

Enjoy