We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer Times.

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Clare, Ireland
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer Times.

Hi Everybody,

My friend is arriving at Schiphol airport on a flight from Ireland with an onward flight to Bangkok one hour later. I don't think one hour is enough time to make the connection. Can anybody offer an opinion on this please. Thanks so much in advance for any information.

D.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,207 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer Times.

Hi D,

If it's both KLM don't worry. It's all non-Schengen so they'll simply walk to the next gate (probably from pier D to pier E-F-G) and join security queue there. General info here...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c170368/Amste…

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Edited: 2:26 am, July 07, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,574 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer Times.

I second what Erik said. Your friend will come in on Aer Lingus though but they code share this route with KLM so just as Erik described walk off one plane and get on another. No time to hang around but they should make it.

Clare, Ireland
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer Times.

Thanks a million for your help. The onward flight is with China Airways. I have taken this flight before but had three hours between flights. As I recall it was quite a long walk to catch the Bangkok flight and I knew where I was going. My friend is a first timer so might not be so sure. Either way he'll have to run and hopefully will make it. Again, thanks for you're help.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,574 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer Times.

OK although CI are Sky team members as are KLM it is kinda stretching it a bit to say that they have an interlink agreement with Aer Lingus.

When you took this flight was it also with CI or with KLM who have a later direct flight to BKK? I presume that your friend bought this ticket as one package?

It is a long way from D to E or F. Pier E can be a very long way so although they will not have to run I would say 25 minutes gate to gate. Hopefully the inbound from Dublin(??) will not be late.

UK
Level Contributor
5,778 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer Times.

"OK although CI are Sky team members as are KLM it is kinda stretching it a bit to say that they have an interlink agreement with Aer Lingus"

Aer Lingus are NOT Skyteam members - but they do operate a code share with KLM on the DUB-AMS route.

China Airways also operate code shares with KLM.

In all likelihood the flight will have been booked as a KLM flight (yes, you can have flights booked through, and ticketed on, KLM without ever going near any KLM metal - and this itinerary can be booked as a KLM itinerary, I have checked). If that is the case it will be a protected through connection, and if the inbound is late and the OP misses the connection then KLM will automatically rebook them on the next flight.

Not only is this a legal connection (20 minutes above the minimum connecting time) but, being entirely non-Schengen, it's one that I would consider to be fairly comfortable.

Edited: 9:49 am, July 07, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,574 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer Times.

I didn't say Aer Lingus were Sky team I said CI (China airlines were)

UK
Level Contributor
5,778 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer Times.

"I didn't say Aer Lingus were Sky team I said CI (China airlines were)"

Sorry - I somehow managed to misread this. My apologies

But the main point I was making still stands - this will, in all likelihood, be a KLM booking using two codeshare partners, so the question of agreements between Aer Lingus and China Airlines won't come into this.

Clare, Ireland
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer Times.

Thanks for all the help, I'll pass on the info. Much appreciated..

9. Re: Transfer Times.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 09, 2014