We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female going to a concert at night in Amsterdam safe?

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Topic
Solo female going to a concert at night in Amsterdam safe?

Dear Amsterdam Destination Experts!

Is it safe for women traveling alone and going to a rock concert in late evening in Amsterdam?

So I’ve been reading up some sites and they say women traveling alone in Amsterdam is generally safe. Ok I got it's safe during day. Here is my particular situation. I’m an Asian female who grew up in one of the safest country in the world (in short, quite naive and trust people easily).

I’ve never been to Europe and I’m going to London(I am staying with my friend in London) this fall and considering visit to Amsterdam for a rock concert, traveling alone from London to Amsterdam via train. And possibly hit some “coffeeshop” also. The concert will be at Melkweg in Grachtengordel-zuid area in Amsterdam. I will get out the concert around 11PM to midnight and wondering if this is safe for an inexperienced female solo traveler to do. I'm thinking maybe get a hotel near the Melkweg so I don't have to deal with tram so late in evening but I don't even know if this area is good or bad.

My brother who have visited Amsterdam said he saw couple of pickpockets in action right in front of him on two different occasions. He is against me traveling alone. He also heard there are several spots that are dangerous for even police officer to walk alone during day and officers teams up three in certain areas( I assume it's the Red Light District which I will not be going at night). He did say sticking on the main street during day would be ok but walking alone at night is ABSOLUTELY NOT. This means no concert for me in the evening but the concert is the main reason why I want to go to Amsterdam in begin with.

I don’t want irrational fear to stop me from going but I need to be careful and be smart about traveling alone as a women. Especially walking back alone in late evening after the concert. Do you feel comfortable sending your inexperienced sister, daughter or wife alone to a late night concert in Amsterdam?

Thank you for understanding my concersns and I appreciate your sincere take on this.

P.S. i would like an advise on possibly meeting up with some fellow travelers but I don't think I want to stay at the hostel. Some recommendations on hotels near Melkweg(if it's a safe area)would be appreciated!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,261 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo female going to a concert at night in Amsterdam safe?

Hi there,

Leidseplein/Melkweg area I'd label as quite safe, though of course it has a few darker back alleys where one would better stay clear of. So yes, if your hotel is nearby why not do it?

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female going to a concert at night in Amsterdam safe?

Hi there,

Look for a hotel around Leidesplein, just be sensible ( dont go down dark alleys alone) and you will be fine;

Hope you have a nice trip to Amsterdam and London too

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female going to a concert at night in Amsterdam safe?

For the most part the City Center of Amsterdam is safe. The area around the Melkweg is where most of the clubs are located, so very busy. There is also a tram stop a couple of minutes walk from the venue so it is not necessary to stay in the immediate vicinity. Just keep an eye on your surroundings and you'll be fine.

As far as hotels go, do you have a budget in mind? You may want to rethink the hostel idea and have a look at Cocomama , it is run by a group of lovely ladies. http://www.cocomama.nl/

If you have a read through the Top Questions on the right side of this page you will find useful information.

And for Coffeeshops visit the following site with a map and all the info you can possibly need. http://www.coffeeshopdirect.com

Edited: 7:22 am, June 21, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo female going to a concert at night in Amsterdam safe?

Yes it's safe enough. Melkweg has a police station opposite.

Don't let guys take you to places you don't know (in case anyone tries), and watch your drink in Melkweg and other bars. Best to keep it with you all the time, but I do that in Asia too!

Just watch out you don't get hit by bikes. Always look before crossing, because you can't hear them coming.

I have never heard about that 'unsafe for police' thing, that doesn't sound like Amsterdam.

Edited: 7:44 am, June 21, 2013
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,360 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo female going to a concert at night in Amsterdam safe?

The Cocomama is looking very nice and cosy. Do you think that it is "appropriate" for older people too? They have private double rooms. But perhaps the rates are similar to hotel rates?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo female going to a concert at night in Amsterdam safe?

"P.S. i would like an advise on possibly meeting up with some fellow travelers but I don't think I want to stay at the hostel."

The Couchsurfing website has a list of 'events' you can join to meet other couchsurfers / travellers / locals in Amsterdam. www.couchsurfing.org

You can also create your own 'event' (for example a lunch, museum visit, or a night out in a bar), once it is posted people can join in. Or post something in the Amsterdam forum on Couchsurfing. You have to make a profile, but you don't need to actually sleep on someone's couch; any local or traveller can join events or post things in forums.

You could even check out some of the profiles of Amsterdammers and write to those you think you'll click with, and invite them for a coffee or something. In most profiles it's pretty clear whether that person is open to it ("I love meeting new people!" / "I love showing someone around") or less so.

Some more about the safety: I see you're now in Los Angeles. I have to say, I think that is a lot rougher and more dangerous than central Amsterdam. Amsterdam is like a big village. Just see how pretty it is by night! http://bit.ly/14n4m4K

Yes, sometimes something happens, but it's mostly things like pickpocketing (so hide valuables or don't even bring them with you at night), occasional brawls, bike- and other accidents... I don't go to the Red Light District after dark (and you may prefer the daytime anyway... for us ladies it can be quite shocking to see all the leering guys without shame, especially at night when they're more drunk) but I hear it's very safe. Police patroll the streets and there are so many people around, it's safe enough. Just don't take photos of the ladies behind windows because that's not allowed and the bouncer/pimp may become agressive.

Edited: 11:03 am, June 21, 2013
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,873 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo female going to a concert at night in Amsterdam safe?

The RLD is fine. It is no doubt the busiest tourist spot,in Amsterdam.

And while you may be more comfortable during day It is perfectly safe at night.

I doubt you will see anything shocking.

Unless of course you had never been to a normal family beach where the woman wear a lot less.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo female going to a concert at night in Amsterdam safe?

MrJohnMd I was hoping you'd post that link to the coffeeshop meetup website, I forgot what the link is. She wants to meet other travellers. That way she can try various options like the Couchsurfing website as well as that other one.

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo female going to a concert at night in Amsterdam safe?

Thank you all for your inputs!

I'm sure I'm going to have more questions about Amsterdam as I'll be planning my trip and it's great to know I can ask and get some valuable informations from all you guys. Thanks Cecile74 for the link for great pics of Amsterdam by night, those are amazing. Thanks again and keep up the great work!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo female going to a concert at night in Amsterdam safe?

coffeeshopmenus.org/0-WhosInTown-/WhosInTown…