We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day Cruise Stop in Amsterdam - Itinerary Questions

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
270 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
One Day Cruise Stop in Amsterdam - Itinerary Questions

I will be in Amsterdam for only one day on a cruise in September. I have already done some research and I am looking for critique of my itinerary, to see if it is possible. Here are some things I would like to see/do:

- Canal cruise or hop-on/hop-off canal cruise - 1 - 1.5 hours

- Van Gogh museum (specifically because I love Van Gogh and this era of art) - 2 hours

- Dam Square

- Royal Palace (exterior)

- Jordaan neighborhood

- Portuguese Synagogue (exterior)

- Notable churches (exterior)?

- Floating flower market (possibly)

- Vondelpark (possibly)

We only have 8 hours in port, which probably means 6.5 or 7 hours maximum to see the city. It seems that everyone advises to take a canal cruise first as orientation to the city. However, our cruise ship does not dock until 13:00 and the Van Gogh museum closes at 17:00, so it would probably be necessary to go there first. If we did this, would it still make sense (and would we still have time) to take a canal cruise? I am not sure where the canal cruises typically begin and end.

Would I have to choose either the museum or the canal cruise? If so, which would be the better choice? I am interested in architecture and getting a feel for an area but I also love art, so I am torn.

Thank you for your help!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
270 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: One Day Cruise Stop in Amsterdam - Itinerary Questions

lennybruce, I'm sorry I didn't see this until now. Thanks for the clarification. We are in port on a Tuesday.

MrOther, thank you for your advice. We will definitely try to make it there!

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: One Day Cruise Stop in Amsterdam - Itinerary Questions

Lenny, to add to the confusion, many Brits use the word Dam when they mean Amsterdam

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: One Day Cruise Stop in Amsterdam - Itinerary Questions

Yes, I have noticed that so I will be more careful with my usage in the future so as to avoid unnecessary confusion (versus necessary confusion?)... :)

14. Re: One Day Cruise Stop in Amsterdam - Itinerary Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 25, 2014