We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Amsterdam to Rotterdam Ahoy by public transport

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Amsterdam to Rotterdam Ahoy by public transport

I am planning on going to a concert at the Rotterdam Ahoy during my visit to the Netherlands later this year.

I will probably be staying in Amsterdam on the night of the concert, so I will need to get from Amsterdam to the venue in Rotterdam and back using public transport.

Can anyone tell me what the best option would be? Especially regarding getting to the Ahoy venue itself, as I assume a train ride from Amsterdam to Rotterdam's main station is pretty straightforward.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Lisse
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Amsterdam to Rotterdam Ahoy by public transport

See this website for door to door instructions www.9292.nl/en

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Amsterdam to Rotterdam Ahoy by public transport

Aha, thank you. That site seems to work pretty well. Any "local knowledge" would still be appreciated.

An additional question, though - would be be a good idea to travel to Schiphol from Rotterdam early in the morning, or rather go back to Amsterdam at night and go to the airport from there in the morning?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,147 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Amsterdam to Rotterdam Ahoy by public transport

Locals use the 9292 site. Very few people in NL have memorised the entire public transport network.

Why do you need to go to Schiphol in the morning? If you are catching a flight then why don't you just get a hotel in Rotterdam the night before??

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Amsterdam to Rotterdam Ahoy by public transport

Haha, I should have made it clear in my second message I was referring to "local knowledge" around the venue itself, and getting there from the nearest station and so on, sorry :)

Yes, I will be catching a flight there the next morning. It seems the train journey is only 25 minutes, so that's basically answered my question. Perfectly feasible to get from Rotterdam to Schiphol without having to get up really early in the morning.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
278 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Amsterdam to Rotterdam Ahoy by public transport

From rotterdam central station to Ahoy there's a metro going every 5/10 minutes, get off at Zuidplein.

As stated on Ahoy's website:

By public transport

At Rotterdam Central Station, take the subway direction Spijkenisse, direction De Akkers or direction Slinge. Get off at the stop Zuidplein. From here, it will take you approximately 5 minutes to walk to Ahoy.

6. Re: Getting from Amsterdam to Rotterdam Ahoy by public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 20, 2014