We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation further from city centre - cheaper?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation further from city centre - cheaper?

A friend of mine and I are planning on visiting Amsterdam in September for a few days, as part of a larger European trip.

We are not looking for luxurious accommodation, just a basic twin room, or two basic single rooms. I have been looking at accommodation in the city, but is seems to be somewhat pricey (maybe I'm not looking at the right places), at around 60 to 70 Euro per person per night for pretty basic accommodation (excluding student hostels). If it is possible, I'd like to pay closer to 35 to 50 Euro per person per night.

To that end, I was wondering whether accommodation further from the city centre might be cheaper? If so, which neighbourhoods would be good to consider? There'd need to be good public transport links, including late night services.

Of course, any pointers towards cheaper city-centre accommodation would also be appreciated.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation further from city centre - cheaper?

I should perhaps add, our dates for staying in Amsterdam are early in the month, before the IBC conference which runs from 12 to 17 September and which I understand causes some pressure on hotel space and prices.

London, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation further from city centre - cheaper?

Hi

I agree that hotel prices in Amsterdam are generally high.

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam South which is a bit of a way out of town but very well served by tram and metro which I think run all night. It is good but prices tend to fluctuate quite a lot, depending on time of the year and demand. There are plenty of reviews of it on this site.

Good luck!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation further from city centre - cheaper?

Thanks, I'll have a look.

I don't mind paying 10 or 15 Euro more if there is a good reason for it, but if there is a way to save some money which can be used on other things, that's always good.

Places like B&Bs would also work, but I haven't really been able to find a good website with many Amsterdam B&B listings - maybe there just aren't that many?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
15,197 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation further from city centre - cheaper?

tripadvisor.com/…48456219

Take a quick skim of the last 20 pages or so of this almost 200 page thread.

See if the 4 star prices you see work for you.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,036 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation further from city centre - cheaper?

Most rooms in Asmterdam are priced per room not per person. Try the HIE Sloterdijk or the Menninger next door. Also look at the Westcord Fashion or Apollo hotels.

Best value is to use priceline as suggested by John.

6. Re: Accommodation further from city centre - cheaper?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 06, 2014