We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for indoor places to visit without too many stairs??

California
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for indoor places to visit without too many stairs??

We're arriving next week and were hoping to see what we missed last year - zoo, Volendam Hermitage, outdoor tulips at Keukenhof and in the fields, etc. Now we're searching for ideas for indoors. This year now looks worse than last and we can no longer do tons of stairs (not many elevators in the great historic locations), cold-cold weather, and too much walking without breaks and warm stops. Except Hermitage, big museums seem to still be closed and outdoor activities seem to be in doubt this year - again. Grateful for any ideas for indoor enjoyment.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,560 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for indoor places to visit without too many stairs??

One suggestion for something new indoors is "Re:mbrandt All His Paintings" http://www.rembrandtallhispaintings.com/en/

I'll be writing a review of the attraction but since you asked, here it is now here...

Its indoors at Magna Plaza behind Dam Square. Its an exhibit of stunningly high quality and full size digital reproductions of Rembrandt's 300+ paintings. I went last week to check it out and found it to be quite interesting to see the breadth of his work and different kinds of work all in one place. The exhibit also provides an unusual overview of and insight into the chronological development of his work and career.

You may not have that thrill of knowing that what you are viewing is The canvass that Rembrandt stood at working it with his own hand. However the quality of the reproductions is amazing and unto itself a fascinating technological feat. The suggestion of the contours and depth of an oil painting is so real that I would find myself from time to time eyeballing the painting close-up from the side just to reconfirm to my brain that it was indeed a 2-dimensional reproduction.

There is also a great 10 minute film from a Dutch art historian about the Nightwatch painting before entering the hall where that is presented. And there is a reproduction of the original painting and the smaller version that it became. I went directly from "Re:mbrandt All His Paintings" to the Rijksmuseum for some "compare and contrast" while my visit was fresh.

In terms of the Nightwatch in particular, "Re:mbrandt All His Paintings" is a great supplement but no replacement for seeing this large and imposing work of art in real life in a large museum hall. But having seen the video about the painting at "Re:mbrandt All His Paintings" really enhanced my visit to the real thing. I'm surprised that the Rijksmuseum doesn't have a similar video.

In general I would then position "Re:mbrandt All His Paintings" as a fantastic supplement to a museum visit. And for those with a particular interest in Rembrandt and/or the subjects Rembrandt is famous for - historical scenes and portraits in particular - then "Re:mbrandt All His Paintings" presents a totally unique opportunity to see all 300+ of his paintings in surprisingly life-like quality.

Edited: 3:59 am, March 30, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,370 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for indoor places to visit without too many stairs??

There are loads of places and museums you can see. My personal favourite is the Rembrandhuis where he lived for 20 years. There are some stairs but not too many.

What about the Verzets ( Dutch resistance museum) or the Scheepvaart maritime museum which has plenty of elevators.

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for indoor places to visit without too many stairs??

The Tassenmuseum had an elevator.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
863 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for indoor places to visit without too many stairs??

If elevators are your thing, there is also the on-line Elevator Museum (http://goo.gl/yXQ5b)

My favorite section is "Steam and Hydraulic Elevators".

Other

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,161 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for indoor places to visit without too many stairs??

You can take a ferry behind the Centraal to the new "Eye Filmmuseum" .

Many museums have an elevator, EG the newly opened Stedelijk.

California
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for indoor places to visit without too many stairs??

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. These visits to Amsterdam are rare opportunities for us and we want to make the most of our stay. By chance both of our visits have been during cold, wet weather without tulips (ohh how we would love to see them in their glory) and this trip promises more of the same. We'll do the new Rembrandt -- "all his paintings" for sure. We hadn't heard about this. We'll also take a look at Rembrandthaus even if only one of us can see very much of it. We also like maritime history so we can try Scheepvaart. And, we would probably enjoy the new EYE. Even if not, we would enjoy the ferry ride so thanks. All of the ideas were good and much appreciated no matter if they fit our interests. A couple we have already visited and enjoyed.

Your suggestions have taken away some of the stress when the timing of visits cannot be adjusted to suit weather. We find planning (half the fun) and find we are able to do more if we have choices waiting rather than spending precious time having to scramble for alternate ideas at the last moment - but, we do allow that spontaneous can be fun! We always try to take the viewpoint of "do what you can" and just "enjoy what you do." Happy travels to all of you.

7. Re: Looking for indoor places to visit without too many stairs??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 01, 2014