We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easyjet switching to Online Check-in ONLY from 30th April

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Easyjet switching to Online Check-in ONLY from 30th April

I was on an Easyjet flight back from Rome yesterday and they announced that from 30th April they would only allow online check-in. The desks at the airport will only be for bag drop off. Given the nature of the announcement I don't know if you'll even be able to use machines at the airport to check in. This was the first I have heard of this.

For many it will not be an issue and I expect that for any reservations made now this will be made very clear at the time of booking. There are bound to be some however who get caught out by this.

You have been warned!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
41,019 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easyjet switching to Online Check-in ONLY from 30th April

Thanks Brian, Certainly no chatter about this on the air travel forum or anywhere else.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
41,019 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easyjet switching to Online Check-in ONLY from 30th April

Only thing I can find is this on their site

www.easyjet.com/en/flying/leapCheckinDetails

At an increasing numbers of our airports, all passengers checking-in for flights, including those with hold baggage, will use the self-check-in kiosks rather than the traditional check-in desks.

The check-in process:

The simple, quick, and secure process is as follows:

•Upon arrival at the airport, go to any available kiosk to check-in. Flights become available for check-in two hours before the scheduled departure time, and close 40 minutes before

•Use the simple touch-screens to identify your flight and retrieve your individual bookings (see example below)

•Use the screens to answer standard Department for Transport security questions

•The kiosk prints out boarding cards for all passengers in the booking

•If you have hand baggage only, simply proceed through security to the departure lounge

•If you have hold baggage, the kiosk will print out standard airline-industry baggage tags which you need to attach to your luggage (one per bag). This is very simple, as the instructions below illustrate. Take your bags to the conveniently-located 'bag drop' area where they will be reconciled with individual passengers. Then proceed through security to the departure lounge

•Passport and ID checks are undertaken at the departure gate

So looks like you will have to use the self service kiosk (assuming you did not already do OLCI) and they will print off baggage labels which you can then drop off. Seems to be rolling out over all their airports. Not really something to worry about, this is more or less what I already do for KLM.

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easyjet switching to Online Check-in ONLY from 30th April

Thanks Brian,

I have a flight booked with Easyjet for July, and although on line check-in is booked for it, I always have to check my wheelchair in at the desk, and that is what they send an email telling me to do. They haven't told me different - yet, but good to have the heads up on it.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
863 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Easyjet switching to Online Check-in ONLY from 30th April

They're definitely up to something: Mrs Other had an email from easyJet the other day with the same message that Brian relays in his post.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easyjet switching to Online Check-in ONLY from 30th April

There are a lot of people who are not too savvy with 'new' technology & are pretty scared of using such things,I myself tend to have something of a distrust of them when we used the automated system at Schihol recently after dropping the case into the self serve hatch I was convinced that was the last I would see of it!

Nr Cambridge
Level Contributor
1 post
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easyjet switching to Online Check-in ONLY from 30th April

From their website:

…custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5777

Note that whilst there will a limited "at airport" check-in facility, this will be phased out.

Crews will be making PAs about the changes too.

Also reported in the media:

telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9948026/Ea…

As they state, some 80% of their pax check-in on-line already; this seem to match up with the number of pax that I see with self-printed boarding passes (I'm a frequent flier with eJ!).

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easyjet switching to Online Check-in ONLY from 30th April

Mike, thanks for that update;

They also have a new section for disabled and reduced mobility passengers, but neither make it clear exactly how I would check in my pre-booked chair. I guess that it will be by locating the 'assistance' desk at the relevant airport, and presume they will email me after I have checked in on line.

Will find out in July anyway.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easyjet switching to Online Check-in ONLY from 30th April

OMG! If people are supposed to use the Kiosk instead of teh standard check in , then you can only imagine the queues! I can imagine people taking ages to check in this way.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easyjet switching to Online Check-in ONLY from 30th April

We've just returned from an Easyjet flight & have to say if you have hold luggage the time saved is minimal/non-existant due to having to line up to drop the bags off

newcastle/england
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easyjet switching to Online Check-in ONLY from 30th April

I work in the trade and i believe its now 23 April when this is phased in..there is only ONE reason for it of course-MONEY..It may surprise people to know that it costs around £60,000 per annum to have just one manned check in desk at a regional UK airport. It will save Easyjet a huge sum of money..expect All airlines to follow suit.

Edited: 3:57 pm, April 02, 2013