We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fyra train and rotterdam from amsterdam help

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
fyra train and rotterdam from amsterdam help

Ok, I know some people around here don't feel the love for Rotterdam but i think it might be an interesting day trip on our second day there (Sunday). I figure we will be pretty brain dead. And the teenage magpies would think it is cool riding the fast train. We would be using our discount day train passes. I understand you need to buy an upgrade ticket at the central train station for Fyra. my question for everyone is, is the upgrade supplement good for the day or just one ride? Because if I understand it right, it is under an hour to Rotterdam with Fyra and living landlocked seeing such a big port is very different to how we live at home. And being on the fast train would be a bonus time wise and novelty. Thanks again everybody. Magpie.

Cleethorpes, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: fyra train and rotterdam from amsterdam help

Quote: Dutch train ticketing, isn't the easiest to understand, and is much worse than that in countries like Italy, France, Belgium and the UK

Sorry to hijack but in regards to buying tickets...

My husband and I are visiting Breda at the end of August, arriving at Schiphol early evening (6:20pm) and was going to book the Fyra 'open time' train as we have no idea if we will be delayed at all or how long it will take to clear baggage and passport etc. Now we hear via DutchTravelAgent on Tripadvisor that the Fyra within The Netherlands is due to be suspended too!

So, back to the ease of buying tickets... in UK, if you buy in advance you pay half, if not more than half, of the price you would pay at the train station. So we always buy online in advance which is why I'm trying to sort out our Breda tickets, but is this the same in The Netherlands? I don't see how we can book a ticket for a particular time if we then miss it due to delays. Would it be the same price at the ticket office?

Hoping someone can help... we don't want to be stuck at the airport or paying more than we can afford in last minute train tickets! Thanks 'in advance'!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,743 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: fyra train and rotterdam from amsterdam help

NS is due to change the name of the Amsterdam-Rotterdam-Breda train into something else than Fyra, due to the disaster with the Brussels train. So don't worry, THIS train (which still is called Fyra too) runs as usual. It uses different material than the Italian stuff that caused the troubles.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
888 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: fyra train and rotterdam from amsterdam help

You don't need to worry, as Fyra between Schiphol and Breda will run as usual (twice an hour). There is no price advantage in buying tickets in advance for this train.

One exception: there is a weekend return ticket which is slightly cheaper than an average return ticket, and this weekend return can only be bought online. So if you travel to Breda on let's say a Saturday and go back to Schiphol on Sunday, you could book this ticket online. Still, I would advise you to wait a few more weeks as there may be engineering works taking place. You can check this on www.nshispeed.nl and then click on 'werk aan het spoor' in the bottom left corner. In case of engineering works you often don't need to pay the Fyra supplement, saving you €2,30 one way.

Have a great trip!

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
888 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: fyra train and rotterdam from amsterdam help

I just found out that you don't actually need to buy a return ticket to benefit from the cheap online weekend tickets; you can also buy a one-way ticket. Doing this, a one-way ticket Schiphol-Breda 2nd class only costs €12 instead of €20. So you may be able to save quite a bit.

As of now, there are no engineering works planned in August btw.

Edited: 3:56 am, June 09, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,905 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: fyra train and rotterdam from amsterdam help

There's normally no advance discount for domestic travel in NL so just buy the ticket at the machine or at the counter. Buying it from NSHispeed you will have to pay €2,50 for a card fee. You will have to pay 50c at the ticket counter per ticket or a €1 fee at the machines.

Good point there about the weekend tickets. Stupidly they are only available online from NSHispeed even though they are the same company as NS.nl.

Edited: 4:01 am, June 09, 2013
Cleethorpes, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: fyra train and rotterdam from amsterdam help

Thank you for your reply!

I suppose if I book on the ns.nl website and for any reason the service is cancelled I will get a refund or be offered another option. On the website it costs €40 for an open return ticket from Schiphol to Breda. At least we're not tied down to catching a train at a set time.

17. Re: fyra train and rotterdam from amsterdam help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 11, 2014