We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam with a car

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam with a car

We are planning a driving trip around Europe in the fall. We want to spend a few days in Amsterdam so I am thinking that my best bet will be a hotel outside of the central area but very close to public transportation. I need available, safe parking and want American style amenities, like A/C and a hair dryer. Actually I would like hotels that match that description in Munich, Berlin, Brussels, Zurich and possibly Prague and Vienna. Any suggestions for how I can find hotels like this?

Rudy's Taxi Company
City Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Taxi Electric
Taxis & Shuttles
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam with a car

As far as the other destinations go, best ask on the relevant forums.

For Amsterdam my honest advice would be that you use one of the P&R facilities and stay in the center of town. You can get hotels with parking out of town but most of them still charge and it is a real pain to travel in and out. See the top question to the right about P&R options.

If you want specific hotel recommendations please give us some more to work on. Specifically a budget but also some idea of the type of hotel be that International, boutique, etc.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam with a car

In the fall you won't need A/C in Amsterdam. Get a nice hotel in the center (any of these areas: Jordaan / canal belt / De Pijp / Vondelpark area). Use booking.com, they have advanced search options (tick boxes on the lower left).

As for parking, click here:

Veel plezier, have fun,

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam with a car

One more vote for choosing a centrally located hotel and park your car in a P+R parking. The latter will be cheap, safe and you are provided with free train tickets to and from downtown with it. Better stay downtown for 3 days and maximize your time while in there, than staying far and commuting every day when it can be avoided at no extra cost whatsoever.

4. Re: Amsterdam with a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 15, 2014