We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flower update #0 - season 2013

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Flower update #0 – season 2013

We had a lot of flower questions last week so an early flower update for everybody who is traveling in 2013 to see the flower fields and Keukenhof.

Weather

We are still having wintertime in the Netherlands. This morning there was a new fresh (small) layer of snow on the ground and the weather forecast says it will stay freezing cold for at least another week. (Until 16th of March 2013)

Hmm, how will this affect the spring flowers?

For the spring flowers it is still wintertime! The soon to be flower fields are having a big winter sleep. The early spring flowers like crocus and daffodils are showing a bit of green. The mid spring flowers like tulips and hyacinths are hiding in the fields and not showing any green yet.

But when will the spring flowers start blooming outside on the fields?

We don’t know yet :-) Spring flowers need a couple of things to grow and start blooming. Warm weather, some rain and some sunshine.

Based on the experience of the last couple of years you can use this timetable for outside spring flowers (on the fields)

Late March – beginning of April – crocus and daffodils

Beginning to end of April – hyacinths

2nd half of April - beginning of May – normal tulips (and will be cut on the field during first week of May) (early tulips earlier, late tulips a bit later)

Keep in mind when we have a warm winter this can change to earlier and with a cold winter later. And also extreme warm week can cause the flower to grow faster.

What about the Keukenhof? Will I see flowers there?

The Keukenhof is open during the spring season from the end of March to half May. There are some wonderful indoor and outdoor exhibitions. The indoor exhibitions are showing flowers a bit sooner than in the park and on the fields outside. It is possible to see indoor tulips at the Keukenhof at the end of March. I love the early tulip exhibition during the first weeks. Even it means that outside in the Keukenhof there are lots of greens and not that many flowers yet.

During April the Keukenhof will become more and more colorful outside and that continues into May. And if it is a warm spring time please don't wait until the last days of Keukenhof to visit.

Best time to visit the fields and the Keukenhof?

This may be a bit difficult to decide... would you like to see the tulips in the flower fields or see the Keukenhof in full bloom ? Especially with the cutting of the tulips (on the fields and not inside Keukenhof!) around the 30th of April/first week of May can cause a bit stress. :-) Last two weeks of april and first week of May are generally speaking the best time to see both.

Will this flower be blooming at date X?

Lots of people are asking will this spring flower be blooming at the fields when I am there at date X. We don’t know exactly! It is a product by nature. If you use the table above you will be more likely to see your favorite spring flower. If you choose to travel at another date as mentioned above you might be lucky or not so lucky.

And for people traveling at the very end of May, during summer, autumn or wintertime there are no spring flowers on the fields during this time. There could be some other flowers but no tulips, daffodils and hyacinths.

How do I know when my favorite flower is blooming?

Just like last year there will be a weekly flower update from the opening of the Keukenhof. With a week in advance we can predict pretty sure what will show outside on the fields.

Search for flower update in the search box to see what you can expect.

Some photos of spring season 2012

Photos of CorTT https:/…

Photos of Nina flickr.com/photos/…

More information?

More information about Keukenhof, traveling to the Keukenhof/ flower fields and the flower parade see the Top question on the right or find it in the search box.

Next flower update will be in the weekend of 23 / 24 march 2013.

Nina

spore
Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flower update #0 – season 2013

Thank you so much for the info... esp for us who will be travelling from so far esp for the flowers... really appreciate

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flower update #0 – season 2013

Thanks for this, and the continuing updates!

MMK

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,605 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flower update #0 – season 2013

This is a very useful thread:-)!

ocala, florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flower update #0 – season 2013

Thanks so much. Your update really helps. Even though my time in your country is already decided and cannot be changed, I'm sure I will be pleased to see whatever is in bloom at the time of my visit.

india
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flower update #0 – season 2013

I am visiting amsterdam on 27th of may and proceding to visit other places in europe

as per the website the garden is open only till 20th...

so I guess I wont get to see keukenholf...feeling sad :(

Skopje, Republic of...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flower update #0 – season 2013

Thank you so much!!!!!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flower update #0 – season 2013

Thank you !!

Looking so,forward to seeing this

Will be in the Netherlands middle of April

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
863 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flower update #0 – season 2013

Well done, Nring.

:-)

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
333 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flower update #0 – season 2013

Thank you so much, Nring! We will be visiting the end of April, so we may be in luck this year. We will look forward to further updates. You are a real gem!

Carol

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flower update #0 – season 2013

just to say thanks in advance :) I have been following some of your past updates and decided to bring my trip one week earlier just in time to be there on the last weekend of April hoping to see the tulip fields :)