We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip Amsterdam-Den Haag-Delft-Amsterdam

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
241 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip Amsterdam-Den Haag-Delft-Amsterdam

My dear fellow travellers,

I kindly ask you for your help. On Thursday, March 21st, we would like to make one day trip to Den Haag and Delft by train.

I have read everything that I have found on this forum, but still I would like you to help me to organise this trip.

- is it possible to do it in one day, when shell we leave Amsterdam?

- which station should we get off in Den Haag?

- can we just buy return tickets to Delft, or should we mention that we would like to make a stopover in Den Haag?

- how much time we need in Den Haag? We would like just to stroll the city, without museums, maybe see the International Court of Justice, if it is in the center, and have a coffee...

- would we be able to see the coast (Scheveningen)?

- is it better to use the tram from Den Haag to Delft, is scenery nicer?

Sorry if there are too many questions, and thank you all for your help!

Greetings from Zagreb, Croatia

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
888 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip Amsterdam-Den Haag-Delft-Amsterdam

Hi Zrinka,

From Amsterdam Central station there's a direct train every 15 minutes to Den Haag Centraal, which is closest to the city center. However, this requires you to buy a ticket from Amsterdam to Delft VIA Den Haag Centraal, as it involves a small detour. It's about 80 cents more expensive I think.

Alternatively, there's a direct train every 30 minutes to Den Haag HS station, which is a bit further from the city center yet lies on the route from Amsterdam to Delft, so no need to buy a 'VIA ticket' here. From Den Haag HS it's a 15min walk to the main sights and you will pass through Chinatown.

My suggestion: buy a single ticket from Amsterdam via Den Haag Centraal to Delft, and another (direct) single ticket from Delft to Amsterdam. On the way back there's no need for you to travel via Den Haag Centraal anyway.

I would spend half a day in Den Haag, visiting the Passage, Binnenhof, Paleis Noordeinde and the International Court of Justice if you wish. When visiting Delft on the same day, I don't think you can fit in Scheveningen as well.

Tram from Den Haag to Delft is quite slow, so just take a train, either from Den Haag Centraal or Den Haag HS (both allowed with a ticket from Amsterdam via Den Haag Centraal to Delft).

Have a nice trip!

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
241 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip Amsterdam-Den Haag-Delft-Amsterdam

Thanks Waezk! You've helped me a lot!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip Amsterdam-Den Haag-Delft-Amsterdam

I tried to do a day trip Den Haag + Scheveningen + Delft and did not manage it.

I never made it to Delft and nor did I see everything in Den Haag. Although, I spent a lot time at the Mauritshuis which is currently closed.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
888 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip Amsterdam-Den Haag-Delft-Amsterdam

If you are into shopping, you may want to visit Den Haag last, as shops will be open until 9pm on Thursdays (and in Delft on Fridays)

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
241 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip Amsterdam-Den Haag-Delft-Amsterdam

Are the shops open till 9pm on Thursdays in Amsterdam, too? I think about rescheduling this trip to Wednesday, and Zaanse Schans on Thursday, to be earlier back to Amsterdam.

OK, we are skipping Scheveningen, thanks for the advice to both of you.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
888 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip Amsterdam-Den Haag-Delft-Amsterdam

Yes, in Amsterdam shops are open until 9pm as well on Thursdays, so your plan sounds good!!!

Warsaw
Level Contributor
179 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip Amsterdam-Den Haag-Delft-Amsterdam

One does NOT skip Scheveningen! Reschedule something else and make sure you get there!

I believe Delft-Den Haag-Scheveningen is doable in one day. Amsterdam-Zaanse Schans in one day as well.

For Delft-Den Haag-Scheveningen:

1. Get on the very earliest train you can make yourself get out of bed for and arrive in Delft.

2. Walk around the charming historic old town and see it come to life while discovering it's actually quite small (but still charming) and, unless you really want to visit the museums, you're done quite quickly.

3. Get back on the train and get off at Den Haag HS. The sights from the train are of industrial nature, but the tram is only slightly better with regard to that IMHO.

4. From Den Haag HS, head straight for the Strijkijzer (Haagse Toren), spend the EUR 6 and have a spectacular view of Den Haag and the surroundings, including Delft itself. Leave yourself a good 30 minutes to take spectacular panorama photos from all angles and enjoy a cup of less-than-spectacular coffee.

5. Head down Stationsweg and Wagenstraat through Chinatown to the "Winkelkern" and, if you're hungry by then, have a bite in the La Place atop V&D between Grote Marktstraat and Spui (nice views as well)

6. You may want to hang around and look at the stores in the Winkelkern, but just as well return later and head right to Palais Nordeinde, Lange Voorhout, Plein and Binnenhof.

7. From there you can either:

7.1. Go to Den Haag CS and rent a bike!

7.2. Go to the VVV @ the IJspaleis (Town Hall) and have the loveliest of the lovely VVV ladies tell you which tram to take to Scheveningen (as it's madness with cancelled and relocated tram lines now)

8. Either by bike or by tram, go to Scheveningen.

9. Enjoy a walk along the beach and boulevard, pop into the Kurhaus and have a fish dinner of your life at Simonis Visrestaurant (the one @ Haven open till 8 PM, the one by the Kurhaus till 9 PM FWIK).

10.1. If you're done with that early, you can head back for more shopping to the Winkelkern and shop till you drop (since you got up early for Delft, you're bound to get quite tired by 9 PM)

10.2. But if you've done your shopping earlier, Scheveningen is lovely in the evening as well (but in March it can get a bit cold and windy)

11. If you choose your trams or bike routes wisely, you will see all the "modern and international Den Haag" sights, including the Peace Palace, along the way, you may even stop to get a closer look.

12. You're tired, remember, so just get on the first train from CS to Amsterdam Centraal and enjoy a good night's sleep (just don't asleep on the train as this is the only route where they may actually pickpocket you while you're asleep).

While you're in Den Haag, you might want to book an appointment with Den Haag Greeters (www.denhaaggreeters.nl). They're the best thing about Den Haag, and if you let them know your itinerary while booking, they will surely accomodate it, you might even get a Greeter to join you on his/her bike if you opt for biking!

You can also do Delft on your way to/from Rotterdam, which is most advisable as well. Rotterdam is stunning, whatever the Dutch might think of it, even if good for a day or even a half unless you want to visit the NAI and cruise the port.

Edited: 2:12 pm, March 11, 2013
Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
241 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip Amsterdam-Den Haag-Delft-Amsterdam

WOOOOW!!! :-D What a detailed plan!!! Many thanks for all the advices! Great!

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip Amsterdam-Den Haag-Delft-Amsterdam

I'm worn out reading that never mind trying it,but if that is all the time you have available as has been said it would be a crime to miss one of them out,especially Scheveningen!

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
888 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip Amsterdam-Den Haag-Delft-Amsterdam

I agree with snaefell052 that - especially on a warm spring day - nothing beats watching the sun set from the beach in Scheveningen. However, I've also been there many times on rainy and windy days; not so nice ;)

I also agree that Rotterdam is a great and extremely underrated city, especially among Dutch people. I have studied there for two years and love it. It has a great vibe, interesting architecture and a very different look compared to the rest of the country. But I can understand that most tourists come here to see 'picture-perfect Holland' and are less interested in a modern city like Rotterdam. Which is fair enough...