We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water at the gate in Schiphol

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
16,209 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Water at the gate in Schiphol

I guess this is more curiosity than anything, as we can't do anything about it, but can anyone tell me if you can buy water after security in Schiphol? I understand security is at the gate, which is how it was in Berlin as well, but there they sold a few snacks and drinks actually in the gate area. I've searched but haven't been able to figure out the situation at AMS.

I guess if you can't, we can take empty bottles with us and see if they'll fill them up on the plane.

Thanks!

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Water at the gate in Schiphol

They do if you tell them you want to take it through security.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Water at the gate in Schiphol

Hi -

If you are flying to the states, there's one shop at the start of the G gate concourse that will put it in a secure bag. It's the shop next to the small coffee café next to gate G3. But I always ask the sales clerk first, if he/she will put it in a bag for me. Sometimes they are out of bags!

And yes the water in the bathrooms is completely drinkable, but there's one gate (can't remember which but maybe G5?) that does NOT have a bathroom after the final security check. Very annoying!

Good luck - MMK

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,209 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Water at the gate in Schiphol

Thanks for all the advice. I guess we'll take empty bottles and see how it works out.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Water at the gate in Schiphol

This is a message I posted on the Rick Steves website, in May, 2012. I repeat it here because it relates so directly to the OP:

Water in Schiphol: As you know, security rules can change unexpectedly. Here's some useful news from Amsterdam's Schiphol on May 6, 2012:

We discovered on check-in that all security screening was at the (United, in our case) gate. I imagine this was to meet US TSA requirements. I learned at the information desk that we could buy 33-centiliter (and no larger) water bottles *from a stand that had duty-free material* and have them zip-seal the water as if it were liquor. I didn't feel cheated paying 4 Euros for a liter of water - that's cheaper than airport water purchases at Newark!

Imagine my surprise, after getting patted-down into the "clean" gate area G7: United had a white-box chilled water dispenser, with a spout and cups, in the waiting area. (For long deleays ... ? ...) I could have refilled the empty half-liter empty I had just thrown away. I'd been planning to fill it in the Star Alliance lounge that turned out to be *before* the gate security. At Newark, I use a fountain, but of course there aren't any in Euro airports.

It can be hard to fit a bottle in a sink, with an infrared valve and a shower aerator!

Edited: 1:00 pm, March 07, 2013
15. Re: Water at the gate in Schiphol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, March 09, 2014