We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flowers / Tulips etc

Fermanagh
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flowers / Tulips etc

Hi

We are heading to Amsterdam for a quick 3 day break in a few weeks.

My wife is very into flowers and gardening, is there anywhere obvious and easy to get to from central Amsterdam that might be worth a visit?

Its not essential but it would be nice to have a few suggestions for when we get there.

One other question, do any of the canal trips offer light meals or snacks? I did a very basic trip on my last visit with a friend, but as im with my wife this time I thought I would try and find out in advance

Thanks

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Lisse
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flowers / Tulips etc

For information about tulips and flowers see the top questions about Keukenhof and the website www.keukenhof.nl

Fermanagh
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flowers / Tulips etc

Thanks, that sounds perfect but it looks like it doesnt open until a week or two after our trip. Great to know for future reference though.

How far is it from Central station?

Thanks again

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Lisse
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flowers / Tulips etc

From Amsterdam central to Schiphol 20 min by train. From Schiphol to Keukenhof 30 min by bus.

Fermanagh
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flowers / Tulips etc

Thanks very much, that will certainly be something we do when we come back next time.

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flowers / Tulips etc

There are cheese and wine boat trips, been on 2 over the years and enjoyed although least enjoyed Tui - but thats my own feeling; There is also a pizza trip, but not sure if that only goes in summer. They both cost around 30e pp.

Then there are dinner cruises, most people advise against them because the food quality vs the price as opposed to the quality of food for the price 'on shore' would mean you would get a better quality eating after or before your cruise, but I see it as paying for an experience as opposed to the actual food, and at times, there is a place for it. These cost from approx 70e pp.

I guess you are planing to see the flower market? Not many flowers (some wooden tulips) but lots of bulbs and stuff - as you say your wife is into gardening, I am sure she would be able to pick up a useful souvineer of your trip here. Whilst there, look out for the Christmas shop too, open all year round with some lovely amsterdam baubles or approx 2.50e.

Have a good trip.

Fermanagh
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flowers / Tulips etc

Thanks, ive reached the same conclusions about eating on a boat. I think it will be a nice thing to do perhaps to relax after a nice big meal in a restaurant.

I shall have to find the flower market on a map, I also found this place that I think my wife would enjoy assuming we can find it.

Botanical Garden (Hortus Botanicus)

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g188590-…

Edited: 11:12 am, February 25, 2013
Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flowers / Tulips etc

And please DO NOT buy any bulbs at the Flower Market, unless you enjoy the sight of NON-blooming bulbs. Those sold there are frequently rotten or of very poor quality.

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Flowers / Tulips etc

Your wife will love the botanical garden. it's not difficult to find in the centre, near the Waterloo square.

Fermanagh
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flowers / Tulips etc

Thanks for the replies.

Interesting to read about the bulbs, she would no doubt have been had over on that.

Can anyone recommend any reliable places she might get some good bulbs to bring home?

Really looking forward to the Botanical gardens, there is a lovely one in Belfast which we often visit.

Lisse, The...
Level Contributor
724 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flowers / Tulips etc

Do not buy any flower bulbs (tulips, hyacinths or narcissus) at this time of year. It's forbidden by law because they will not bloom. New bulbs will be harvested in july and sold in autumm.