We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in De Pijp vs Jordan ?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in De Pijp vs Jordan ?

We are a young couple looking to rent an apartment for our first time in Amsterdam. We are considering the areas of Jordan or De Pijp...and even considering renting a houseboat in Jordan.

Could anyone provide us with a recommendation to which would be better for a first time traveller. We do love unique, vibrant areas..

Thank you!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,299 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in De Pijp vs Jordan ?

I live in De Pijp so obviously it gets my vote. Jordaan is closer to everything though and a lovely area. For a first time visitor the Jordaan is more Amsterdamish.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in De Pijp vs Jordan ?

Both are nice areas.....but I always choose the Jordaan area. It's in a spectacularly beautiful part of the old city.....and at night the streets are quiet and you can get a good night's sleep.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,358 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in De Pijp vs Jordan ?

Jordaan is more beautiful and more central. But probably more expensive as well.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
863 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in De Pijp vs Jordan ?

I write this sitting in the heart of the Jordaan, so my own preference is clear.

But ... I would say that the Pijp is hipper.

My wife's grandparents escaped the Jordaan for the Pijp. Her parents escaped the Pijp for the next ghetto created for Amsterdam's working class. So the Jordaan is older and became urban-renewal-trendy earlier.

If you want hip urban edgy try the Pijp. If you want canals and classic Amsterdam come to the Jordaan.

Edited: 3:37 pm, February 21, 2013
Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
239 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in De Pijp vs Jordan ?

Some really good replies. I have stayed on a house boot in the Jordaan, de Pijp and Centrum. I lean towards the Jordaan, it is much more 'Amsterdamish'. While the Pijp was fun, hip and our houseboat great; we felt we did way more 'travelling' to get where we wanted.

Whatever area choose, don't ignore the other. Go and check out where you want to stay next time!

Have a great trip.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in De Pijp vs Jordan ?

Agree with everything that has been said. So much depends on your age and what you are looking for. Stayed in a quiet area of de Pijp last April and loved it - overall, more hip and "more" going on. "Other" nailed it with his description. Jordan is a cool place to hang out and relax. Like Jim said, whichever one you decide to stay in, don't ignore the other.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in De Pijp vs Jordan ?

To me, Jordaan is the heart and soul of Amsterdam. I would pick it over any other neighbourhood in this beautiful city.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in De Pijp vs Jordan ?

I would say that for a first visit to Amsterdam the Jordaan would have my vote and De Pijp for the second visit. As others have said, the Jordaan is much more 'Amsterdamish' which in my view, for tourists, primarily means you are in the heart of the canal belt which is of course what makes us a UNESCO World Heritage site.

9. Re: Staying in De Pijp vs Jordan ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 24, 2014