We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any unusual or 'must see' coffee shops?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
468 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Any unusual or 'must see' coffee shops?

Forgive me if this has been asked before, we've been to Amsterdam a few times now and always end up doing the same thing with regards to coffee shops, going round in circles popping into ones nearest Dam Square, we heard good things about 420 but I wasn't too keen on it when we last visited, looking for any 'nice' or unusual coffeeshops, something we haven't found on our previous trips as they've all looked the same(our own fault I know but we've been a bit scared to stray too far from Dam Square incase we ended up lost..)and maybe one with nice views of the canal apart from The Grasshopper? Staying at the Ibis near centraal station and planning on getting an all day tram pass so distance isn't an issue within reason, thanks :)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
15,715 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any unusual or 'must see' coffee shops?

http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/

This guide may give you some ideas.

For me it would be the Dampkering. But that s because I thought Oceans 12 should have won an Oscar.

Ok maybe a wee bit of overstatement in that last.

But you can sit n the exact same seat Brad, or Matt, or George sat in when they met Matsui.

I am of the opinion that the Grey Area, year in and year out has as good a product sold in an Amsterdam coffeeshop.

I would go there at least once.

For the truly unusual I am not sure of any others that I have been in.

Although there may be some

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any unusual or 'must see' coffee shops?

Solo not far from the Neiuwmarkt, Katsu just around the corner from Albert Cuypmarkt, Paradox in the Jordaan near Anne Frankhuis. You can find more information about them and others in the link MrJohn provided.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
468 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any unusual or 'must see' coffee shops?

Thank you, that map has been downloaded to my phone and will be a great help! Already decided we'd definitely be stopping at the Dampkring after hearing it was in Ocean's 12, and it has a resident cat, which sold it for me :) shame that Rokerij II has been closed down as this was one we wanted to visit, and it's 2 minutes from our hotel too! I will read up on the ones you've mentioned Balou, thanks :)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any unusual or 'must see' coffee shops?

Siberie is just around the corner from the old Rockerij.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
15,715 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any unusual or 'must see' coffee shops?

Michelle, they say the after work daily relaxing done in that shop was legendary at the time they were shooting.

I had read they picked that shop because it was a favs of Brads

Edited: 12:56 pm, February 18, 2013
6. Re: Any unusual or 'must see' coffee shops?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 20, 2014