We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam in April

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Amsterdam in April

I am travelling to Amsterdam with my husband and 9 yr old son from 27th April(7:30 AM) to 30th April (7:00 AM). I wish to see the Anne Frank House, Keukonhof Gardens, take Canal Cruise, Windmill tour and Red Light District. I would also prefer to see Voldenpark on 29th April (30th is the Queens Day) & one or two museums, if time permits. Please help me to make an itinerary for these three days alongwith mode of transport. I shall be staying near Centraal Station.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,644 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam in April

Take canal cruise sooner rather than later in your trip. All companies offer basically the same tour. The ones on Damrak are generally cheaper than those immediately outside the station.

Book your tickets online in advance for AFH otherwise queues are long.

You'll find all about the Keukenhof in the top question to the right. There is a windmill in there which you can see.

Best advice I, or anyone, can give is DON'T TRY TO DO TOO MUCH. Amsterdam is best enjoyed at leisure. Leave yourself time to just sit on a terrace and people watch.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam in April

Thanks Brianc ! Since Queens Day is on 30th April, would it be possible to enjoy any special event on 29th April. I would be out to Paris on 30th morning. Will there be any difficulty in getting transportation to the Airport on 30th April morning. I have my flight for Paris at 6:45 am.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,866 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam in April

the morning of the 30th should be ok getting to airport from amsterdam center..too bad you are leaving on that day...officially the last queens day as queen is abdicating and crowning her son king...can you extend a day or two?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam in April

When I booked my tickets, I had no idea :( Though it seems a bit difficult as we have the next 5 days in Paris, I will still try and see if something can be done. In case we delay our flight by afternoon/evening, do you think it would be sufficient to enjoy the day, and will the traffic be a problem during that time ?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam in April

All bookings done, except Anne Frank. I have taken the Hop-On-Hop-Off Canal Bus for a day and would like to see Anne Frank House, Flower Market, Albert Cuyp market, Dungeon, Dam Square, City Hall. However, I still do not have an idea on how to move around in them - which stops to get down first, when to switch over to the other bus etc. Can someone please help me out? Thanks

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam in April

Use http:9292.nl/en to plan door to door directions throughout the country. You can also use Google Maps by simply right clicking and selecting directions to/form the location. They even offer directions for walking and public transit.

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam in April

If you decide to delay your flight you will be in for a nice experience on Queensday. Should you decide to leave in the afternoon you probably will go against the stream at central station, leaving in the evening means fighting your way to the trains alongside the million visitors leaving Amsterdam.

This is the only map i could find from the HOHO bus lines.

https:/…Bus-Map-Summer-2013-Eng.pdf

We usually advise people not to take the hoho bus as it is limited to just a few sighs but to explore the city on your own with an unlimited daycard for the trams and busses.

Like Balou said, use google maps to find something or to plan your routes

As you can see here, the inner canal belt of Amsterdam, which contains most of the things of interests for tourists, is quite small.

http://mapfrappe.com/?show=9453

Edited: 9:11 am, April 19, 2013
8. Re: Amsterdam in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, April 23, 2013
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,758 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amsterdam in April

Now stop this scooter spam. It is not OK to do advertising here.

And that is all you are doing

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Amsterdam in April

We wish to visit Kinderdijk on 29th April. From the information that we have got, we shall take the NS train to Rotterdam Centraal, metro from there to Zuidplein and bus 154 to Kinderdigk. Please advise if rotterdam centraal metro station is at the NS station only. Do we take Metro line D or E to Zuidplein? How far is the stop for Bus 154 from Zuidplein Metro Station. While coming back, what sights can we see in Rotterdam. Also, is it better to go via Rotterdam or Utrecht? Any information would be appreciated, thanks !