We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silly Tram Question

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
214 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Silly Tram Question

When riding the trams, is there an announcement or a digital sign or something that tells you the name of the next stop, or do I have to pay really close attention to my map and reading the street signs through the window?

Thanks for your time.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,951 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silly Tram Question

Most trams, even the older ones have digital signs and normally there will be a recorded announcement of the next stop or the driver or conductor will say it.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
214 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silly Tram Question

Thank you, Ronaldo. :)

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,204 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Silly Tram Question

not a silly question..one added bonus is it is so busy in the center that the trams stop at most stops..otherwise they will roll on by the stop if no one presses the stop button or no one is standing at the stop to get on..but this happens more in the outlying areas...more than once i have stood at the stop and watched my tram roll by without stopping because i didnt flag it to stop!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
214 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silly Tram Question

Do you flag it by just raising your arm? And to get off, there's a button to press? I think I will mostly be using busy stops - Rijksmuseum, Westermarkt, Albert Cuypstraat...

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,204 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Silly Tram Question

yes, it you find yourself alone at a stop..and you see your tram coming..raise you arm up..sort of like flagging a cab in NYC or something..and it will stop..and yes the sign on board will always show next stop...if your stop is coming up next press the red button that are scattered throughout the tram

but like i said...at the stops you mention it is going to stop anyway..because it is so busy with people getting on and getting off.

Edited: 6:11 pm, January 27, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,951 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Silly Tram Question

You also have to press the button by the door to open it, On the new trams you can press it before you get to the stop and it will flash green and open when the tram stops.

More than once I have seen people standing there waiting for the door to open and it doesn't then the tram pulls off leaving them pretty bemused. It's failry simple but if you don't know....

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
214 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Silly Tram Question

Thank you all! As you can see, I try to be detail oriented. ;)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,826 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Silly Tram Question

No, it wasn't a silly question. It answered a question which I hadn't thought of, so, thank you

9. Re: Silly Tram Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 06, 2014