We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest means of train travel

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Misgav
Level Contributor
155 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest means of train travel

I have read through all the articles, FAQs, and many other postings on the topic of OV Chipkaart and other options, but remain totally confused!

We will be staying in Amsterdam for about ten days, and I expect that we will get around the city by walking most of the time.

However, we plan to do separate day trips to each of the following: Den Hague, Delft, Haarlem, Keukenhof, and possibly to Hoge de Veluew National Park (Otterlo). I expect that we will be using the trains for most of these side trips.

So what is the easiest/cheapest way to do this: buy each train ticket as we need it, OV Chipkaart, or other?

Thanks!

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest means of train travel

Ov chipkaart and just buying tickets is the same price. So for you it will be cheaper to just buy paper tickets, because that way you don't have the buy the empty chipkaart first (€7,50).

You should check stores like HEMA, kruidvat, AH, Blokker for cheap train day tickets when you have arrived. These are usually between 12,50 and 17€ and can be used unlimited on the train within the Netherlands for one day. But they are not always for sale.

Misgav
Level Contributor
155 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest means of train travel

Many thanks - you have simplified life for a confused old man!

3. Re: Cheapest means of train travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 03, 2014