We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Schipol to Hilversum and the onto Germany

Scotland
Level Contributor
160 posts
Train from Schipol to Hilversum and the onto Germany

Hi

I am flying into Amsterdam on Friday and then need to take a train to Germany (Osnabruick). There doesn't appear to be any direct trains (although there were before December!). The best one time wise for me involves one transfer at Hilversum. It says there is a 16 minute transfer time. Will this be plenty time for me to make the connecting train? I have never been to Hilversum before so won't know my way around! I'm really worried 16 mins won't be enough time!

Thanks for any advice

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
1. Re: Train from Schipol to Hilversum and the onto Germany

The IC Berlin, which stops in Bad Bentheim, Rheine, Osnabrück Hbf, Bad Oeynhausen, Minden, Hannover Hbf, Wolfsburg, Stendal, Berlin Spandau, Berlin Hbf, and Berlin Ostbahnhof, indeed has a new schedule per 9 December 2012.

The train does not stop anymore in Schiphol (airport), Amsterdam Zuid and Duivendrecht, and instead stops in Amsterdam Centraal. This is good news for travellers to and from Amsterdam Centraal, who don't need to change in Hilversum anymore. However, travellers to Schiphol (airport) won't have a direct connection anymore.

The fastest option is indeed to change in Hilversum. Normally 16 minutes should be sufficient. Hilversum is a relatively small station (five platforms). Moreover, the train from the airport usually arrives at the same platform where the train to Germany leaves. If you prefer, you can also take a train earlier on the same ticket. Trains Schiphol-Hilversum run every 30 minutes.

Alternatively, if you have sufficient time, you could take a train from the airport to Amsterdam Centraal, perhaps have a look at the city center, and take the direct train to Germany starting at Amsterdam Centraal.

Edited: 6:58 pm, December 09, 2012
Scotland
Level Contributor
160 posts
2. Re: Train from Schipol to Hilversum and the onto Germany

Many thanks for the info. I have booked now Schiphol to Osnabrück via Hilversum. However my ticket on the way out doesn't appear to have a seat reservation printed on it - do you know if there is a specific carriage with unreserved seats? I'm not sure why it hasn't as the one on the way back does have!

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,774 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Train from Schipol to Hilversum and the onto Germany

There are no reserved seats on the InterCity (IC) train. Take seat anywhere. Take note of the "1" and "2" stickers near doors indicating 1st and 2nd class cabins.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Train from Schipol to Hilversum and the onto Germany

If it an InterCity train there are not reserved seats. But if it is an ICE train then you can sit in any seat that doesn't say reserved above it.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
63,793 posts
231 reviews
5. Re: Train from Schipol to Hilversum and the onto Germany

The IC to Berlin has seat reservations _optional_. Generally 50-75% of the seats are reserved hence with some difficulty you should be able to find an empty unreserved seat. Or alternatively still, on e.g. the bahn.de site, try to buy a reservation only (costs a few euros)...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
8,272 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Train from Schipol to Hilversum and the onto Germany

I also took this train last summer, and it DOES have reserved seating. In fact, when I went it was very full. I booked the tickets thru ns highspeed and it has standard seat reservation, you do have to look for it a bit on your ticket, maybe you missed it?

Scotland
Level Contributor
160 posts
7. Re: Train from Schipol to Hilversum and the onto Germany

It is an IC train that I booked through the NS Highspeed website. it is a self print ticket - the seat reservation is clearly printed on the return train but on the way out it is blank. Does this mean I have no seat? I can't stahd for 3 hours!!!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
63,793 posts
231 reviews
8. Re: Train from Schipol to Hilversum and the onto Germany

It might indeed mean you have no _reserved_ seat, it's an extra checkbox during reservation which might have been switched off accidently.

As mentioned above, you have a decent chance to find an unreserved seat though it might take a little stroll through the train; and you might have to 'hop' a bit, e.g. first half grab a chair which is reserved Hannover-Berlin and 2nd half another chair which was reserved and used Amsterdam-Hannover. The train systems generally aren't good in maximising usage of seats and will leave that chair 'unused' for the other half of the train. And the other option is to buy solely the reservation on nshispeed or bahn.de sites, won't be the easiest navigation to get that option though.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,801 posts
81 reviews
9. Re: Train from Schipol to Hilversum and the onto Germany

Give the NS sales a call to clarify this.

www.nshispeed.nl/en/contact-with-ns-hispeed

There are no reservations possible on the Schiphol to Hilversum sector as that can be on any Dutch NS train. They should be able to reserve seats on the Hilversum to Osnabruk section though.

Scotland
Level Contributor
160 posts
10. Re: Train from Schipol to Hilversum and the onto Germany

Thanks for the info - I am really worried now as I will have luggage with me and I also have a trapped nerve in my leg which means standing for any length of time will be painful. I am quite annoyed as I don't think it was something I did wrong when booking as the return part of the journey has seats clearly booked and there was no warning they couldn't allocate seats for the journey out. I'm assuming it must be because the outbound journey was only a few days away when I booked it or something. I paid £59 for the outbound journey and only £29 for the return!