We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question or the locals

Perth
Level Contributor
457 posts
273 reviews
Save Topic
Question or the locals

or anyone who can explain. We are currently in Amsterdam and while wandering around today we came across a bridge which had a heap of engraved padlocks on it with couples names etc. Can anyone tell we if there is a story behind this ??? Just really curious and cant find anything.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,124 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question or the locals

yeah, that bridge near zuiderkerk if i remember..i did some googling and it appears the love padlock thing is attributed to some italian movie from the early 2000's...and the love padlock thing has sprung up in many cities but seems most popular in europe.

Perth
Level Contributor
457 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question or the locals

Awesome thank you

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
7,122 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question or the locals

There are great lovers' padlock walls in many european cities but i never noticed the one in my own city. Thanks!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,723 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question or the locals

I saw them this summer in helsinki, st petersburg and moscow. I also found it very amusing.

Davidson, North...
Level Contributor
217 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question or the locals

Rampant in Paris ( which we recently visited) and destroying bridges with keys through into the Seine polluting the water. Locals very upset

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,124 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Question or the locals

the keys are polluting the seine?..oh brother..tree huggers will latch onto anything..

i highly doubt the majority of the millions of people in paris are agonizing over this.

Edited: 1:51 pm, December 08, 2012
Davidson, North...
Level Contributor
217 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question or the locals

You might want to a google this...I have no ax to grind only what we heard and saw in Paris. No argument needed

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question or the locals

Geez. Where's the sense of humor? Incidentally I saw a similar thing on Brooklyn Bridge and strong feelings were being expressed .

Florida
Level Contributor
17,151 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question or the locals

The coverage of these locks on the bridges hampers maintenance, looks trashy, and is a form of vandalism.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,440 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question or the locals

If you are coming to Cologne by train you will see thousands of lockers at the reilings of the Hohenzollern Bridge. If lovers want never to divide they put a locker at this bridge, throw the key into the Rhine and swear:" forever" ("semper", it comes from Italy).

Not sure if it always works but normally nobody takes offence at this custom.

From time to time though they remove a lot of those lockers, because it shouldn´t become too heavy.

de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php…