We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe trip in Apr / Eurail select pass

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Europe trip in Apr / Eurail select pass

Hello,

I am planning a trip to Europe in Apr-13 and the countries i plan to visit are as follows (in this sequence):

Netherlands (Amsterdam)

Belgium (Brussels)

Germany (Munich)

Switzerland (not decided where, probably Zurich, Interlaken, Zermatt??)

Italy (Venice, Florence, Rome)

I've tried to work out the train connection but it looks to be very costly. As I resides out of EU, I think i can buy a Eurail Select Pass?

I tried to run a check on the pass ordering on Eurail and below is what i get:

4 countries Saver

Destination(s):

01. Benelux

11. Germany

21. Italy

31. Switzerland

Validity: 5 days within 2 months

Class: 1st

The above works out to be around USD 1800 for 4 adults, which i think is cosidered cheap? Or is there even cheaper connections around? My question is the validity of the pass is 5 days within 2 months, does that mean that it will only be valid for the consecutive 5 days (from the day i starts using the pass)? Eg., If i arrive Amsterdam on day 1 and use the pass to visit Brussels on day 2, it is considered 2 days used? Similarly, if i arrive on Amsterdam and visist Brussels within same day, it is considered 1 day used? Can someone explain about the 5 days validity?

I would appreciate some suggestions on how i should connect to each countries (by the cheapest train options).

Thank you.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,370 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe trip in Apr / Eurail select pass

It means 5 separate days in a 2 month period otherwise it would be 5 days within 5 days.

>> If i arrive Amsterdam on day 1 and use the pass to visit Brussels on day 2, it is considered 2 days used? <<

Yes its 2 days out of your 5. If you travel anywhere on your pass on the same day then that is one day. Not sure why this is confusing you.

Also there is huge supplement for using the Thalys train on this route. You need to read this section of their website carefully before buying

eurail.com/plan-your-trip/…reservation-fees

A return trip to Brussels in 1st will cost you an extra €84 in addition to the cost of the pass you have already bought.

If you book in advance you can get this trip for a lot less. Also from the 9th December the new Dutch HS train will start running although not sure what the pricing structure for that will be or what the Eurail supplement is.

Don't bother pricing connections more than 90 days out as they do not release cheap fares until then. If you want a general idea of cost then check the end of February. Make sure that you cost the price of 1st class as that is what the pass gives you.

The pro's of the pass are that it is more flexible than point to point tickets bought way in advance (as they are cheaper but non refundable/changeable). If you change plans then you can more or less do this on the day or the day before. It also requires less research and planning with regards to ticket pricing,apartt from the aforementioned supplements.

Cons are that it can work out much more expensive than buying point to point in advance.

Perth
Level Contributor
457 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe trip in Apr / Eurail select pass

I am leaving this week and purchased this pass but in reality it turned out if I had purchased the tickets in advance it would have been cheaper. If you know what dates you want to a travel it seems cheaper to get the tickets directly.

3. Re: Europe trip in Apr / Eurail select pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, December 17, 2013