We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18 hours in Amsterdam - what to do?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
18 hours in Amsterdam - what to do?

Myself and my girlfriend are going to Ibiza in September. Since we got free tickets using our frequent flyer miles, we must stop in Amsterdam for an 18 hour layover.

What should we do for those 18 hours? Myself and my girlfriend spent 5 days in Amsterdam in 2004, so we have seen most of the major sights. We've already seen the Van Gogh Museum, the Anne Frank House, etc.

We plan on renting bikes for the day but I really don't know what to check out. Perhaps we'll just be lazy and sit at a canal all day drinking coffee. Do you have any suggestions for other cools things to do or see? Any other minor attractions worth checking out? Any restuarant suggestions?

Thanks!

Williston Park, New...
Level Contributor
175 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 18 hours in Amsterdam - what to do?

I don't know if a bus trip would interest you. Last year we took it...(makes 3 stops) WE saw windmills a cheese making factory, fishing village....

It was nice to see a different part of Holland.

If not then check out www.holland.com for other things to do.

Have fun!

Toronto
Level Contributor
89 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 18 hours in Amsterdam - what to do?

Did you visit the Heineken museum while you were there a few years back? It's not far from Leidsplein and could prove to be a nice preamble to a day of drinking their product. If it's a nice day, a pleasant stroll around the city or even a canal ride would be fun. I wouldn't mind riding around on the canal a second time if it's a nice day. Or perhaps take in a nice restaurant (Indonesian food anyone?) and have a leisurely meal or two. Enjoy your time in Amsterdam.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
252 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 18 hours in Amsterdam - what to do?

Taking a different canal tour to the one you took last time can be good too, as they all go on different routes. I'd say plan a very lazy day if you will have just done an 8 hour flight and have Ibiza to look forward to...