We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone in amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phone in amsterdam

I am going to need access to a cell when I get to Amsterdam.

does anyone have a recommendation as to what type of phone can I use when I get to Amsterdam that will work with a local sim card?

I have a Tmobile phone that is a pay as you go that I got at a best buy that I use at home in case my normal phone goes down or I lose it. The phone that I use now everyday is not unlocked.

Also can I get a sim card in the airport?

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone in amsterdam

You said you have a T-mobile pay-as you go - do they offer any type of global plan that you can sign up for ..for the duration of your trip. Or, check with Verizon. I have Verizon, and they just upgraded their system which will allow me to use my Droid 4G overseas - with a data/call plan for $30.00/month. I know they have a pay as you go phone as well - call them to see if you can work with them.

If all else fails, we purchased a few years ago in Australia, a basic cell phone - that is unlocked, and that we can buy SIM cards for where ever we are (Israel, Moscow, France,. etc.) It is just a cheap no frills phone - but, it gets the job done. Then we would buy just a SIM card, load it with minutes, and take it from there. If I recall, we purchased a SIM card for The Netherlands in the city center, but, I am sure there are stores at the airport. The Amsterdam experts will guide you on that.

Carolynn

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone in amsterdam

if your phone is unlocked, and can be used on the gsm network, then it should work..you can buy sim cards all over..even in the grocery stores.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,667 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone in amsterdam

I too have T-Mobile. Just take your old phone to one of many cell phone stores along the Kalverstraat (not the name brand stores like T-Mobile) and they will "unlock" for you and sell you a SIM with a good amount of minutes.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone in amsterdam

Or you could buy the unlock code for your phone on eBay for about $5. Just search for the model number and "unlock code". Then head to any of the phone or souvenir shops around town. Should cost €10 for the SIM card that will include some airtime.

North Wilkesboro...
Level Contributor
84 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phone in amsterdam

Any idea what sort of price range per minute for calls back to the US? I'll have an unlocked phone with me, but my regular at&t phone would be $1 per minute.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,565 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell phone in amsterdam

I have vodafone prepaid. Calls to the US are €0.76/min. Texts are €0.29.

You can upgrade to 60 mins of international calls for €9,50.

vodafone.nl/mobiel_bellen/…

Use google to translate.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell phone in amsterdam

Lebara Mobile offers some great rates, see below, back to the States as well as free SIM cards. http://www.lebara.nl/

15c /min to Mobile

15c /min to Landline

19c Text Message

19c Start Tariff

8. Re: Cell phone in amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 24, 2013