We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Preliminary Itinerary Review

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
16,510 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Preliminary Itinerary Review

I'm planning a trip to Amsterdam with my 15 y/o daughter. I have a preliminary itinerary and wanted to see if I was doing ok with the timing. We certainly aren't seeing everything, but we're trying to fit in some time in Paris too. Our main interest is history (mainly medieval and WWII). We would probably be arriving by train from Paris, I'm guessing about 11 or 1 depending on how early we decide we can get to the train. Also, how far in advance can we book the Thalys tickets? 90 days?

Arrival day

Canal boat trip (any suggestions or are they all the same?)

Not sure what else, maybe Begijnhof or Rijksmuseum (Masterpieces tour)

Day 1

Anne Frank House tix in advance, daily 9A-10P

Self Guided WWII walk (goes past Nieuwe Kerk)

Dutch Resistance Museum daily 10A-5P, Sa/Su 11A-5P

Day 2

Waterlooplein Market M-F 9-530. Sa 930-530 vs Albert Kuyp Market M-Sa 930-5 - we'd be looking for clothes, historical items, random things for DD, not food. Is one better than the other?

Oude Kerk

Schreierstoren

Museum Ons’Lieve Heer op Solder (Our Lord in the Attic hidden church)

?Amsterdam History Museum - would there be time for this?

Day Trips

Muiden Castle maybe Pampus fortress by boat or bus

Corrie Ten Boom House Haarlem (Tu-Sa 10-3:30P, free) - Keukenhof (€15, boat €7.50) - Dutch

Folklore Festival 6, 7 Apr bus 51 from Haarlem approx €21 including entrance

Market Garden/Eindhoven - either guided tour or on our own - still debating. Any recommendations for tour guides? So far I've found this one: www.historywalks.eu/main.php…

Any suggestions for what we should/shouldn't do on Easter? Obviously not the Corrie Ten Boom House as it's closed.

Any other suggestions would be great!

Thanks for any help!

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,703 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Preliminary Itinerary Review

It seems a shame, given the time of year you are here, that you don't have a trip to the Keukenhof planned. See the top question to the right for more information.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,948 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Preliminary Itinerary Review

For the Thalys, yes 90 days:

b-europe.com/Travel/Destinations/Amsterdam

The Waterlooplein Flea Market for Clothing/nicknacks. Also the Noordermarkt on Monday near the Anne Frankhuis.

Do take some time to wander and enjoy a cafe break. Much better than rushing from site to site.

Have fun,

chuck

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,297 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Preliminary Itinerary Review

The boat trips are all much the same. I think the Holland International ones just outside the station are a few euros more expensive than the ones just up Rokin.

The Beginhof would only take 10 minutes to look around and if you are planning on going to the Amsterdam Museum anyway then go there at the same time. The Rijksmuseum re-opens on the 14th April but you mentioned being here at Easter so I guess you will miss that. Still definitely worth looking around though. Would be a good day to do that depending on what time you arrive.

The Resistance museum is good if you are into WWII history

I would not say the markets in Amsterdam are any good for clothes unless you like low end stuff. At least my daughter has never been impressed although you might find something more quirky at the Waterlooplein. Also god for the random items you seek.

How long are you actually in town for though?

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,510 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Preliminary Itinerary Review

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I had the Keukenhof combined with the trip to Haarlem. It looks like we could go to Haarlem in the AM then take a bus to the Keukenhof, then reverse back to Amsterdam. (I can't figure out if I could just take the bus back to Amsterdam, but since I think it would go to the airport and not central Amsterdam, I don't know if that would matter anyway.)

I did read about the closing, but I thought that the Masterpieces collection would still be on display.

Does what I have listed look rushed? I was trying not to rush, and I figure we'd do a fair amount of walking around on the Resistance walk. I can't really see the map well (I assume they want you to pay for it so you can't enlarge it on the web), but it looks like it covers a fair amount of the city.

verzetsmuseum.org/museum/…anne_frank_walk

I haven't decided how long we're going to be there for yet. I'm trying to get an idea for how many days what we want to do would take up and then we'll decide how much we have to cut out. I'm thinking what I have listed would take 5 full days? DD has 10 days off from school for the whole trip, but she will probably take 1-2 extra days off to allow for travel time. We've been to Paris before, so I was thinking 4 days there and 5 in Amsterdam with one day to travel.

For the market, DD just likes to browse them. It's not worth it if it's just junk (although I guess that is subjective), but quirky sounds like she'd like it. It's more just for fun, she's not trying to buy a whole wardrobe. Is it like the ones in Paris where you really need to go first thing in the morning to get there before they start closing down the stalls?

Thanks again for your help.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,948 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Preliminary Itinerary Review

Yes, 5 days is a good amount of time to cover what you list and not have to rush around.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
276 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Preliminary Itinerary Review

Since you've already visited Paris before and you're so interested in WWII, why don't you visit Berlin? It's a fabulous city, full of (recent) history and pretty well reachable from Amsterdam?

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,510 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Preliminary Itinerary Review

I just got back from Berlin in Sept. :-)

DD hasn't been, but Berlin's pretty far from Amsterdam, I think. Isn't it 6 hrs or so on the train?

This actually started as a trip to Paris with a few days in Amsterdam tacked on to the end, but then the Amsterdam days started multiplying...

8. Re: Preliminary Itinerary Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, December 14, 2013