We stayed at Movenpick after successfully bidding for a room there (Many thanks to TA contributors here who helped a lot). We had a good room but Movenpick was way too far out from the centre for us. We took the shuttle to Central Station every morning, but the shuttle stops at 7.30pm so we had to walk that 20mins walk back each evening and it was very tiring after a long day out.
We did not get the tram tickets earlier on as we thought Ams was very walkable but oh no, it wasn't (for us, anyway). Was very glad to finally bought the 48hr tram ticket and trammed all the way thru the rest of our trip!!
1. Took the free canal cruise with our e28 Holland Pass.
2. Had Unlimited spare ribs for dinner one night. We were so full after the first round that we did not go for seconds.
3. Visited Van Gogh – I think it was half price when we were there as the museum was closing for renovations.
4. Visited Rijksmuseum – managed to jump queue using the Holland Pass and got discounted tickets as well with the pass.
5. Took the train ourselves to Zaanse Schans – Lovely place, esp being able to be up so close with the windmills and river. We walked right to the end and got the free boat to bring us across the river. We then walked past some really lovely houses as we walked back towards the station.
6. Strolled along Vondelpark. Regretted not renting a bike to bike around. The park was a bit too big for strolling without a bike and we gave up after a while.
7. Strolled along Red Light District and had first class views of ladies standing behind the glass doors.
8. Had Chinese dinner at Nam Kee that night. We ordered fried rice, mixed vege and duck/pork mixture. Serving was huge but had better Chinese food elsewhere so nothing I would shout about here.
9. Visited Albert Cuypstraat market on a Sat morning. Interesting place. I tried the raw herring. This turned out to be the nicest thing I ate in Ams in my 4 days and was disappointed not to see anymore raw herring shop for the rest of my stay.
10. Shopped around Nine Streets and Kalverstraat but did not really get anything.
11. We had pre-booked tickets to AF house and were glad we did as the queue was so long. A very touching and moving experience.
12. Walked around AF house area and came across a street market that was selling all sorts of stuff but didn’t get anything either.
13. Had lunch at Pancake Bakery near AF house. Unfortunately I didn’t enjoy it very much. I had the ham and cheese. I should have stuck to the standard sweet pancakes rather than savoury types!!
14. After AF house, we took a train to Haarlem and spent the afternoon just strolling around. A lovely quaint town.
15. Had dinner at Burger Bar. Tiny bar but very good business. The burger was very filling.
That about sums up what we did in Ams. Food-wise, I was a bit disappointed but maybe becoz we were staying at tourist areas. Loved the huge AH supermarket at the Dam. Loved the free cheese samples everywhere!! Managed to buy 3 types of cheese to bring back. Is there any difference between AH cheese and Henry Willig’s cheese – big price difference but not sure about the taste/quality. I bought Henry Willig in the end, just to be on the safe side as they were gifts for friends.
TQ TA contributors as I obtained a lot of information from this forum.