We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report : 4 days in Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report : 4 days in Amsterdam

We stayed at Movenpick after successfully bidding for a room there (Many thanks to TA contributors here who helped a lot). We had a good room but Movenpick was way too far out from the centre for us. We took the shuttle to Central Station every morning, but the shuttle stops at 7.30pm so we had to walk that 20mins walk back each evening and it was very tiring after a long day out.

We did not get the tram tickets earlier on as we thought Ams was very walkable but oh no, it wasn't (for us, anyway). Was very glad to finally bought the 48hr tram ticket and trammed all the way thru the rest of our trip!!

1. Took the free canal cruise with our e28 Holland Pass.

2. Had Unlimited spare ribs for dinner one night. We were so full after the first round that we did not go for seconds.

3. Visited Van Gogh – I think it was half price when we were there as the museum was closing for renovations.

4. Visited Rijksmuseum – managed to jump queue using the Holland Pass and got discounted tickets as well with the pass.

5. Took the train ourselves to Zaanse Schans – Lovely place, esp being able to be up so close with the windmills and river. We walked right to the end and got the free boat to bring us across the river. We then walked past some really lovely houses as we walked back towards the station.

6. Strolled along Vondelpark. Regretted not renting a bike to bike around. The park was a bit too big for strolling without a bike and we gave up after a while.

7. Strolled along Red Light District and had first class views of ladies standing behind the glass doors.

8. Had Chinese dinner at Nam Kee that night. We ordered fried rice, mixed vege and duck/pork mixture. Serving was huge but had better Chinese food elsewhere so nothing I would shout about here.

9. Visited Albert Cuypstraat market on a Sat morning. Interesting place. I tried the raw herring. This turned out to be the nicest thing I ate in Ams in my 4 days and was disappointed not to see anymore raw herring shop for the rest of my stay.

10. Shopped around Nine Streets and Kalverstraat but did not really get anything.

11. We had pre-booked tickets to AF house and were glad we did as the queue was so long. A very touching and moving experience.

12. Walked around AF house area and came across a street market that was selling all sorts of stuff but didn’t get anything either.

13. Had lunch at Pancake Bakery near AF house. Unfortunately I didn’t enjoy it very much. I had the ham and cheese. I should have stuck to the standard sweet pancakes rather than savoury types!!

14. After AF house, we took a train to Haarlem and spent the afternoon just strolling around. A lovely quaint town.

15. Had dinner at Burger Bar. Tiny bar but very good business. The burger was very filling.

That about sums up what we did in Ams. Food-wise, I was a bit disappointed but maybe becoz we were staying at tourist areas. Loved the huge AH supermarket at the Dam. Loved the free cheese samples everywhere!! Managed to buy 3 types of cheese to bring back. Is there any difference between AH cheese and Henry Willig’s cheese – big price difference but not sure about the taste/quality. I bought Henry Willig in the end, just to be on the safe side as they were gifts for friends.

TQ TA contributors as I obtained a lot of information from this forum.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report : 4 days in Amsterdam

A very nice "easy to read" report. Lots of paragraphs....

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report : 4 days in Amsterdam

8. You do realize it's difficult to beat Singapore, the world's food capital..

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,299 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report : 4 days in Amsterdam

Thanks for the report. Seems you enjoyed yourself. However not so sure about your food comments. After all you seem to have eaten chinese, a burger, some spare ribs and pancakes (I really don't get why people would eat ham & cheese pancakes willingly). Even in "tourist areas" there are some very nice restaurants.

If you live in Singapore then I can imagine Chinese food most other places in the world would be disapointing ;-)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report : 4 days in Amsterdam

Thanks for the comments.

I might get shot at here (but I guess it's ok since I am so far away now!!), but compared to Paris, the food there is nicer, more variety and cheaper as well. Now, why is that so when Paris is just a few hours' away.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
629 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report : 4 days in Amsterdam

I would not go to Amsterdam and order Chinese food, no more than I would go to Singapore and order Dutch food. The local cuisine is almost alway safer and tastier.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,225 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report : 4 days in Amsterdam

In all the years now I have been following Amsterdam issues via the Internet I have never once seen a hint of this suggestion.

And I mean never:

"Go to Amsterdam for the food."

Surprised though you did not see more Herring stalls.

There are several around the centre.

Edited: 8:28 am, September 30, 2012
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,972 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report : 4 days in Amsterdam

actually there is good chinese food in amsterdam...but chinese food is like mexican food here in texas..everyone has their favorite place and every other place sucks. im sure singapore has bad chinese food as well.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report : 4 days in Amsterdam

I know the food back home cannot be compared but we like to try Chinese food in other countries wherever we go. You never know until you have tried.

In fact, we even had japanese at Dam Square on our last night. We had tried Western food (as in those Argentinian ribs and steak), Chinese at Nam Kee, Burgers at Burger Bar, so what's left was Japanese or Indonesian and we opted for Jap.

9. Re: Trip report : 4 days in Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, December 14, 2013