We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off in a week...last minute "stuff"

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coto de Caza...
Level Contributor
262 posts
Save Topic
Off in a week...last minute "stuff"

I am off in a week to Amsterdam. I leave April 25 and return on May 3. I have basic plans to do the following, but have some questions.

Canal ride/boat ride down Vecht.

Anne Frankhuis

Rembrandt House

Kuekenhof

Brouwerij 't IJ

Van Gogh Museum and house

Floating flower market

Vondelpark

AND would like to fit in Zaanse Schans and Bruges OR Antwerp OR Volendam/Markhan

Now for questions:

I am staying at American Hotel and would like to know how best to plan my days as I am not familiar with where everything is. I see a map but dont really know how to get to/from each place.

Secondly, which outside city should I visit and how long should I plan to stay in the cities, and are these the best places being that I would like to see some authentic area and would like a romantic spot for my hubby and I.

Lastly, can anyone tell me where I rent boat to go down

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
356 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off in a week...last minute "stuff"

Travelin,

You could take a look at www.keytours.nl for some of the trips like to the Kuekenhof, Zaanse Schans, etc.

The American Hotel is VERY well located for seeing the things on your list. Amsterdam is a very compact city: even if you walked from the hotel to Centraal Station it would only take about 30 minutes. You could get a tram pass for when you are there or just buy the strip cart for indvidual trips. There is also a van (The Opstopper) that runs back and forth around the Prinsengracht. The vans take the same tram passes or tickets.

Rochester, NY
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off in a week...last minute "stuff"

I just got back from Amsterdam.

It seems to me that one thing you could do is combine. Get a day pass on the canal bus and use it to get to many of those attractions. (http://www.canal.nl/uk/bus.html) Off the top of my head I know that you can get to Rembrant, Anne Frank, Flowermarket, and Van Gogh via the Canal Bus. They have more information and maps on the website.

I made the trip out to Zaanse Schans. Its very easy to get to without driving. Take the train from Amsterdam Centraal in the direction of Alkmaar to the Koog-Zaandijk station. There will be signs to follow to get there from the train station. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes to walk there. There are 3-4 trains that go there (and back) each hour. Plan on spending at least 3 hours there. Don't forget to check out the free wooden shoe and cheese-making demonstrations. Also I highly recommend buying a ticket to explore one of the windmills from the inside. I went into De Kat, and it was quite the experience.

London, England
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off in a week...last minute "stuff"

I came back yesterday after a weekend with my husband. We spent the afternoon on the first day doing a Mike's Bike tour (they have a website, mikesbikes.com I think). it was a perfect way to get to know the layout of the city, and learn some history from an enlightened guide, and get any questions you want answering. Even a visit to a cheese farm/clog factory is included! Very leisurely, great company from about 8 other english speakers. Sean was our guide. For romantic wandering in Amsterdam, try the Jordaan area.

Have fun - it's a gorgeous place.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Off in a week...last minute "stuff"

I second the bike riding while you're there. It's great fun!

Appalachian...
Level Contributor
12 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off in a week...last minute "stuff"

It's May 1st, you survived Queen's Day. I bet you don't want to come back, huh?

Take the train out to Zandvoort for a few hours, that's what I recommend!