We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam to Antwerp Train Help

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam to Antwerp Train Help

I'm looking into traveling down to Antwerp and Bruges for a few days and have been looking at nshispeed website for prices. Do the prices change? Do I need to buy in advance or if I show up the day of will I get the same price? Do I buy from this website or somewhere else? Does it accept american credit card? Sorry, just see lots of websites for train tickets and I am a little confused on how it works.

Also, does anyone recommend taking the bus? It is a bit cheaper but I am not sure how easy and safe it is? We will have 2 suitcases. Thank you in advance.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,489 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam to Antwerp Train Help

Hi there,

The bus is for backpackers/budget travellers. Not the level of comfort standard tourists would accept in Europe.

Train: Thalys tickets (1 hour faster) do have an airline price model - the longer you wait the more expensive they'll be. So act quick there. IC tickets (the slower train) generally are same price whenever you buy, and are not linked to a specific time and seat.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam to Antwerp Train Help

Thank you for your response. If I purchase the IC tickets at the ticket window do they accept a swipe credit card, or do I have to pay with cash only? I may be buying it at the airport or at Amsterdam Centraal. Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,489 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam to Antwerp Train Help

Hi again,

The airport windows (choose the domestic one, not the International) accept swipe credit cards. The Int. windows charge 3-4 euro extra per purchase and are only needed for reservation-trains like Thalys. Don't know for sure about the Central Station domestic windows.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Edited: 2:50 am, August 19, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam to Antwerp Train Help

Thank you!!!

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
951 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam to Antwerp Train Help

Occasionally there are offers for IC train tickets,so keep an eye..As Erik says you are not linked to a specific time and seat(seats cannot sell out) but you have to travel within the day you have selected!So your plans should be quite firm if you want to book online!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam to Antwerp Train Help

Thank you again. Where would I find the offers for the IC train tickets?

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
951 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam to Antwerp Train Help

I don't know exactly because i was informed by a member here for an offer.Maybe they have a kind of newsletter or something.Otherwise,You can check every now and then your route and see what prices are on offer..

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,801 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amsterdam to Antwerp Train Help

There was a summer offer running until last weekend. From experience there won't be any more now until next summer with the possible exception of a short period over Christmas & New Year. Expect to pay the normal price. Eriks advice above is, as ever, spot on.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,049 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amsterdam to Antwerp Train Help

I am not a fan of busses but I dont think the Eurolines busses are as bad as Erik makes out (sorry Erik) and for such a short trip it matters less.

I always say if you care time rich and cash poor the bus is for you. there is also a direct bus service once a day to Brugge which does not take that much longer than the train and you don't have to negotiate a change in Antwerp.

10. Re: Amsterdam to Antwerp Train Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 22, 2013