We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam to Bruges- train versus car/hiring a driver

south carolina
Level Contributor
163 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam to Bruges- train versus car/hiring a driver

We are a family of (2 adults, 2 teenagers). We'd like to take a day trip from Amsterdam to Bruges. It looks like the round trip train tickets would be about 91 euros each- so I was wondering if maybe renting a car or hiring a driver would be more economical? Any thoughts on that and any suggestions for car rental or drivers?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,559 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam to Bruges- train versus car/hiring a driver

Hi there,

Hiring car-driver is not. Cab rides, and anything looking like that, is e.g. 50 euro for a 20-mins ride from airport to town and probably at least 500-1000 for Brugges.

Renting a car yourself - might make sense. But take into account parking fees if you want to be in Brugge centre, or the local P + R. And be aware that, train or car, it's quite a long and packed day. I'd say 4-5 hours one way by car, 3-4 hours same by train if you use Thalys optimally to Antwerp or Brussels and then a local express. Does not leave much time for enjoying Brugge...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,332 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam to Bruges- train versus car/hiring a driver

Firstly I would recommend staying in Brugge for the night as it is worth more than a few hours.

Erik, I think that 4-5 hours driving is way off. More like 3 hours as long as you avoid heavy traffic around Antwerp. I used to drive to Brussels in under 2 hours. If you only go for the day then leave after 0900 from Amsterdam and you should be in Brugge for lunchtime. You can then spend the day there and leave at say 1900. You should be back in Amsterdam by 2200.

I agree that driving will be more cost effective but just make sure your rental comes with unlimited KM's. Fuel should be around 50 euros plus the cost of the car rental and parking etc.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,559 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam to Bruges- train versus car/hiring a driver

Hmmm... regularly doing Amsterdam-Zeeuws Vlaanderen through Antwerp and Amsterdam-Gent. Gent is 3-3.5 hours without traffic jams and Brugge is further. So maybe different driving styles? ;-)

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,175 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam to Bruges- train versus car/hiring a driver

i drove brugges in about 3 1/2..but that was on a saturday morning and starting point was my hotel near the airport.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam to Bruges- train versus car/hiring a driver

You should be able to get tickets for less.

The nshighspeed site has currently sales for first class one way tickets to any Belgian city for 25 euro each way. That's first class not second.

Also, if you select regular trains not highspeed it should be cheaper as well.

For 4 persons a rental car could be cheaper also.

If you are ready to spend 400 euros let me know, I will drive you with pleasure :)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,332 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam to Bruges- train versus car/hiring a driver

I'll do it for €350 Ger!

Erik it's 220 km to Gent. Are you saying that you drive at 65km /hr average speed? It has taken me 5 hours to get to Brussels before but that was on a Friday afternoon and the Antwerp ring was a car park.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,175 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam to Bruges- train versus car/hiring a driver

took me 3 hours to get from delft to amsterdam before...dutch traffic jams are legendary.

i thought i would be cute and bail out, cut through the hague, down to wassanaar, sneak in the back way...wrong!!..everyone and their brother had the same idea..

Edited: 3:34 pm, June 11, 2012
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,559 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amsterdam to Bruges- train versus car/hiring a driver

I'm afraid that on average indeed it was 65 km/h we accomplished. Often Sat morning out and Sat evening back. Always some kind of traffic jams, delays, roadworks - when the Belgian side is perfect the Dutch side finds it time to work and vice versa!

Of course weekends have more construction work, but weekdays have more normal rush hour related jams somewhere. Sorry...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,175 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Amsterdam to Bruges- train versus car/hiring a driver

dont know if its done there...but here alot of major highway construction work is done at night..do they do that in the NL?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amsterdam to Bruges- train versus car/hiring a driver

Some works are done at night but because wages are about double for night work not everything is done at night. Also some things take more time than one night.

Best is to check the the traffic info before you go, and to avoid rush hours altogether.