We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam bus and canal tours

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
County Antrim...
Level Contributor
90 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam bus and canal tours

Hi it's our first trip in 2 weeks time we will be staying for 3 nights so want to make the most of seeing the city. Could anyone advise on a good tour bus and canal and how to book. We are a couple staying in the barbizon hotel. Also are there any good bars/restaurants nearby, nothing too up market. Thanks.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,159 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam bus and canal tours

Well there are a few canal tours in the immediate area. just go for the cheapest one which I think is still Rederij Plas. Up on Rokin Rederij Kooij also are pretty good.

Would not bother with the bus tours but you could try one of the Segway tours or a Sandeman's Walking tour.

The Barbizon is at the end of the Zeedijk which is full of bars and especially Asian restaurants. Great Indian nearby, Ganesha.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,828 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam bus and canal tours

We will be in Amsterdam again on Sunday and my question is, do we have to expect long lines at the canal cruise piers? I would like to go for the one at Rokin, close to the university, because we have used it some time ago and it was pretty economy priced. But if there are long lines, do you have another suggestion? We only have one day and I want to show my family as much as possible. Not keen on waiting for hours at the landing like it happened another time...

Of course I know that you aren´t clairvoyants, but perhaps some usual facts and experiences?

Edited: 9:46 am, April 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam bus and canal tours

Normally you will not encounter waiting lines. Usually the boats wait until the have enough customers and depart when the have filled up enough.

The boats on Damrak are inexpensive as well, just pick one that is about ready to go, so you don't have to wait in the boat.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam bus and canal tours

The company on Rokin is well known. That said, I have never seen a large queue in passing.

Peace

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,828 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam bus and canal tours

Thanks for your replies. Let´s hope and see:-)).

County Antrim...
Level Contributor
90 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam bus and canal tours

Thanks for your advice and the tip for the restuarant, it is much appreciated !

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam bus and canal tours

Cafe Kobalt is cool, you could do a combi with a amphibious bus! http://www.lovers.nl/en/tickets-and-prices/floating-dutchman-(departure-amsterdam)

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,828 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amsterdam bus and canal tours

We had a boat trip yesterday from Rokin and it was 9,50 Euro each. They started every 20 min and we hadn´t to wait very long. They departed although the boat wasn`t filled up completely.

It was a wonderful day as the sun was shining all the time:-))!

BTW, we have seen a historical tram, probably another nice option for a sightseeing tour.

Edited: 2:45 am, April 23, 2012
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amsterdam bus and canal tours

Hi, I am writing this from our hotel room just off of Dam square in Amsterdam Just wanted to give yu a head's up about an experience my wife and I just had from a local provider. We booked a day-long trip to Bruge and found the guide and the tour less than we had hoped for. We stopped in to a "Tours and Tickets" store just outside of the central station (they are everywhere) and bought tickets based on their discription of the tour. In reality, the trip was one hour longer (each way) and there was no provision for restrooms or refreshment for the four hour journey. The restroom on the bus was unusable, and the guide was too preoccupied with self promotion to recognize he had failed to meet the fundamental comforts of his passengers. Consider also that pubilc restrooms are sometimes hard to find in small tourist areas and are usually charged for. The bus also did not drop us off where we were picked up from at the start of the tour, causing us to walk a great deal farther than we had planned on. The "guide" blabbed for the entire four hours on the way to our destination, was rude and argumentative when we arrived - and still did not give any real concern for our comfort. Be sure to ask specific questions before you book.

10. Re: Amsterdam bus and canal tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 29, 2013