We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Paris to Amsterdam

Bloomington, Indiana
Level Contributor
116 posts
54 reviews
Train from Paris to Amsterdam

I'm looking for the cheapest and easiest/quickest way to get from Paris to Amsterdam via train in March. Looking at the Thalys site, they show a couple fare deals that appear to be for specific types of groups of people - Adult & Co and Kid & Co. The latter says "for 1 or 2 accompanying adults with a child under 12", which would appear to cover for one fare me, my wife and my 7 year old. Am I correct?

Also, are there other options for this trip outside of Thalys, or are they my best bet? The Thalys fares and trip length seems reasonable to me, but if there is something better I'm all ears!

Thanks.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,058 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Train from Paris to Amsterdam

The kid and co fare is a bit misleading. The fare quoted is 65 euros but that is not for everyone that is per person for the adults. For two adults and one child the actual fare will be 145 euros on the kids and co deal.

However it is possible to get the deal cheaper than that if you book early. For instance at the moment they have a special offer on for a one way fare Paris to Amsterdam of 29 euros. This is only for travel until the 10th March and needs to be booked before the 18th december. Fare for 2 plus child is from 73 euros.

Fares are only bookable from 12 weeks prior to travel so for early March you will have to wait until next week. If you do a dummy booking for the end of February you will see what I mean.

It will give you the option of the promo fare (in yelllow) or the flexible fare in grey. If you click on the little details icon to the right it will show you a breakdown of this fare.

Please use this site and select paper tickets which you can print at home or pick up in Paris at an SNCF machine. On this site you can also select your seat allocation.

http://www.thalys.com/fr/en/

Hope that all makes sense.

Thalys is the best way to get from Paris. The only other option is the bus. However the bus takes around 7 hours against 3hr 19m by train and if you have never been on a train at 300km/h (190mph) then it is an experience. Your child will also like it and at least you can get up and walk around.

Edited: 9:51 pm, November 29, 2011
Bloomington, Indiana
Level Contributor
116 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: Train from Paris to Amsterdam

Excellent, I'll check it out. The dates are just out of range right now but I'll keep a close eye on them. Thank you very much!!

3. Re: Train from Paris to Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:42 pm, June 22, 2013