We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Areas or cities close to Amsterdam

Arkansas
Level Contributor
154 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Areas or cities close to Amsterdam

Hello,

Once again I am planning our trip to the Netherlands. We have stayed in Amsterdam and loved the city. This time we are considering making our home base in another city such as Zandvoort; however, we sure like to indulge in the coffeehouse items of the 'Dam" as we tour the country. Can these coffeeshops be found throughout the Netherlands? I know there is more to the trip than smoking but it sure makes the going good and is a blast from our past as we are in our 40's. You know "What happens in Amsterdam....stays in Amsterdam." We are very cultural and have traveled to Belgium, France, Italy, and hope to visit London this time! We do not cross any borders with items that are not 'decriminalized' in other countries. We do respect the cultures and laws and enjoy ourselves tremendously. But I must admit, if coffeeshops are located everywhere, we will try our best to visit the border as often as distance allows while we tour around the countries. Anyway, sorry so long. Just wanted to prevent any misunderstandings!

Thanks in advance,

O

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Amsterdam
Bike Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
We Bike Amsterdam Tours
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Friendship Amsterdam
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Eastbourne, New...
Level Contributor
520 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Areas or cities close to Amsterdam

I'm not Dutch, but can can advise you based on my experiences in Holland. I've been to several of the cities here, and there are coffeeshops located in all of them. From Gronignen down to Maastricht, you will find coffeeshops. Now in Amsterdam, many regulars bars will not mind if you smoke in them. I do not know how this is in other cities in Holland. However, if you are talking about having a smoke whilst having a quiet walk, or in your hotel room, I can't see that being a problem.

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Areas or cities close to Amsterdam

Hi there

Coffeeshops everywhere, not as much as in Amsterdam though.

Try this URL for references

www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/ACDfrmSt.html…

Furthermore, Noordwijk is a nice town along the beach in Noord Holland. Especially in spring- or summertime, it is a nice area to base yourself with flowerfields in springtime and beaches in summertime....

Regards

Marcel

Level Contributor
440 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Areas or cities close to Amsterdam

Have to agree with Marcel. Noordwijk is a decent place to stay (though a bit unhappy from a public transportation point of view).

Stay clear of Zandvoort! Unless you're really heavily into seventies cheap concrete buildings and German family tourism :-) Zandvoort is an amazing example of what can go wrong with urban planning, and how to ruin a seashore.

Haarlem is a nice city in which to stay. Pleanty of coffeeshops, and less crowded than A'dam. Leiden can also be an option. It's pretty, fun, and on the main railroad to Belgium. It's a big university town, so no shortage of coffeeshops and cafes with live music.