We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things To See In Amsterdam

NY
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Topic
Things To See In Amsterdam

I will be taking a train from Paris to Central Station, I would like to see these things:-

a)Heinkien experience

b)dam square

c)take a boat trip of the city

d)see red light district

How far any of these things are from the Central station , which one I should check out first.

I will be only in amsterdam for a day or 2??

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,869 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things To See In Amsterdam

all are close , Dam Square .... walk straight down from the station is about 800 yards.

boat trips are on the way to Dam Sq , you'll see them.

RLD go at night again a few hundered yards from the Station.

Heineken brewery is a little further but easy to get to , check out the address and map.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things To See In Amsterdam

The last three things are all in the vicinity of Centraal station and you can get to them in 5-10 mins at most.

The Heineken experience is a little further out and you could walk but it would take about 30 mins depending on how quickly you walk! If time is limited I suggest you get tram 16, 24 or 25 and get of at Heinekenplein/Stadhouderskade. A single trip is 1 euro 60.

In reality you could probbaly do all of these things in a day depending on how long you want to spend on each.

The boat trips are about 1 hour long.

Hope this helps

Piglet

NY
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things To See In Amsterdam

Is it better to see RLD at night or that might not be safe for the first time tourist.

What can I see in dam square, does anyone has a map where it shows where all the 3 things mentioned are located.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Things To See In Amsterdam

Rocky, If you really want to experience the RLD, then you must go at night, as that is when the 'shops' are open. Even though it is seedy, and you may find it a bit creepy, it is just as safe as any other city, probably safer than most.

Just remember not to look like a tourist (ogling at everything, constantly reading maps, flashing your camera and other valuables around etc) and blend in as much as possible with the crowd. I see that you are from NY, so you may know from experience what the tourists look like in Manahattan. If you try not to be that, then you should be fine.

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,869 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things To See In Amsterdam

rocky . when you get there , try and get hold of Yellow pages Visitors Guide , maps and everything you need to know in this book.

Its free at Tourist Offices and most hotels. There are also maps on line at this site.

NY
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Things To See In Amsterdam

The problem I have is last train to paris leaves at 7pm unless I find a cheap hotel to stay there.

I will be in Amsterdam by 11:00AM thats give me 7 hours to see what I want to see. Any ideas on some cheap hotels for one night.

I should be able to see what I want in RLD right ??

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,869 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things To See In Amsterdam

yes get a hotel , if you just want a cheap place try Cornerhouse ot TorenZicht.Hearts of Amsterdam , Crown , Gloobe or a hostle.

The Red Light doesnt close exactly in the day , but the B shift are working the windows.

NY
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Things To See In Amsterdam

Any other hotels which are close to all the things I want to see.

NY
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Things To See In Amsterdam

I found this hotel

Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark its hard to see how it is or how are the rooms.

Any cheap hostels (site links)

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,869 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things To See In Amsterdam

stayokay is OK , they have a web site , the five I listed are all more central and 4 are actually in the RLD.