We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some help please!

Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Some help please!

Hi

I'm going to Amsterdam with my boyfirend in March and I've a few questions.

Firstly, we will be there for Paddy's Day (we're Irish) and want to find a good pub to go to that day. Not a tacky Irish bar with trad music, but one with a good crowd etc. Also, I'm worried about being asked for ID in bars,coffeeshops,clubs etc. I am 21 and haven't been asked for id in a long time but sometimes it does happen! What is the liklihood of me being asked as my only id is my passport and it's something i wouldn't like to carry around with me.

Also, we would like to go to a good non-touristy coffee shop...any suggestions?

One night as well we also want to go to a night club, again nothing too touristy and preferably more of an indie/rock vibe...again, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some help please!

Starla01 ... if your 21 its unlikely you'll be asked for ID in bars and pubs... the age for beer is 16 ! Coffee shops is 18.

There are loads of Irish bars ... many in the centre , Durty Nellys , Mulligans , Tara , Slainte etc etc De Haarlemmer , Haarlemmermeerstraat 27 , Tel 020 4083877 is co owned by Dutch and Irish.They have many types of music from jazz , to "paddy" music !

Tig Barra , Overtoom 31 Tel 020 412210 was voted Europes No 2 Irish pub.

Escape , Paradiso , Melkweg and Club Arena seem to be among the popular " clubs" .

Coffee shops are everywhere , and I dont smoke so cant help you there !!

Eastbourne, New...
Level Contributor
520 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some help please!

Mulligans I'm told is the most Authentic Irish pub with the best Guiness. It also plays a lot of music, and is a tad small. Tig Barra is a great Irish pub, lots of locals, and I'm told the most like an Irish Bar.

I believe both have thier own websites. If you want a rock bar, I would recommend 'The Cave', which is not far from Leidseplein. Its open late/early! Most other late night spots tend to be europop/trash, techno and the like from what I can tell

I don't know about coffee shops specifically, but if you avoid those in the RLD, and around Damn Square and Leidseplein, you should be fine

Chicago
Level Contributor
369 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some help please!

My favorite Coffee shop is Kadinsky. It's on a small sidestreet called Rosmarijnsteeg (sorry for any bad spelling). In the years I've been going, I've only noticed a few non-Dutch in the place. Definately not a rasta head shop. Cool music and most importantly, nice smoke.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some help please!

Thanks a million guys! I'll keep all your suggestions in mind. I've just been totally overwhelmed with all the websites, guides etc. I've looked at. It's great to get specific suggestions from people in the know!

Cheers!

Northern England
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Some help please!

With regards to the I.D. - why not take a photocopy of the relevant page of your passport and carry that around with you.

Have Fun!

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some help please!

Hiya

I have just been to amsterdam with my boyfriend and two other couples and and there is a great bar called the Greenhouse which is in the Red Light district on Oudezijds voorburgwal!! It serves alcohol at a reasonable price, it's clean and funky, you can smoke you know what in there and you can sample hash cakes- it caters for everyone. Lots of rock bands go to this cafe/bar when they are in amsterdam. see website

See link below

http://www.greenhouse.org

Have fun!!