We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Normandy to Amsterdam by train

australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Normandy to Amsterdam by train

We want to travel to Amsterdam from Bayeux in one day by train. We will have a hire car but will return that in France. At the moment we are thinking of driving to Lille then catching the train to Brussels, changing trains and continuing on to Amsterdam. Is this the most direct route or has anyone a better one.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Normandy to Amsterdam by train

You might want to ask this in the Train Forum. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Tr…

Peace,

Balou

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,801 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Normandy to Amsterdam by train

I've dropped off a hire car in Lille after a one way rental (Europcar) from Perpignan after getting caught by the ash cloud. The car rental drop off point, which handles all the big companies, is right next to Lille station but a bit difficult to find. I strongly advise you to look up the location before you head for there.

Once at Lille you have multiple choices but be aware that there are no direct trains. Whatever you do you must change at either Brussels or Antwerp. As there was one leaving I took a local train to Antwerp (Called Anvers in French) then the regular IC train from there into NL. You can also go by high speed train (TGV then Thalys) but, particularly at short notice, it costs a lot more.

australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Normandy to Amsterdam by train

Thanks for your replies. The hint re location of car hire place a good reminder to check out these things before hand

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,801 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Normandy to Amsterdam by train

A couple of things I should add whilst I'm at it.

There are actually two train stations in Lille, Lille SNCF and Lille Europe, but they are right next to each other. The road signs are good and generally guide you to Lille Europe.

Lille Europe handles the high speed trains such as the TGV and Thalys. The other station handles all the regular trains.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,053 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Normandy to Amsterdam by train

In my opinion it would be better to drop the car in Bayeux or Caen and take the train to Paris (2 hours) as its a 4 hour drive to Lille from there. Then pick up the Thalys (you have to change stations from St Lazaire to Gare du Nord). From there its just over three hours to Amsterdam.

From Lille to Amsterdam is going to take you around four hours. If you insist on Lille then even taking the TGV or Eurostar from there to Paris then Thalys would be around 45 mins quicker than via the IC train through Belgium.

6. Re: Normandy to Amsterdam by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 27, 2012