We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schiphol to Amsterdam Central Station

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Topic
Schiphol to Amsterdam Central Station

I've read many thieves target tourists on the train ride from the airport to the central station, any experiences on this train by anyone? How to avoid this?

California
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Schiphol to Amsterdam Central Station

Odds are low that you'll be a victim but to make the odds even lower: You can thwart pickpockets by not having anything in an outer pocket. To make it harder for baggage thieves keep your baggage out of the aisle. It's especially risky to stand and keep your baggage near an exit door as thieves like to grab suitcases and flee just as the train doors close at one of the stations before Amsterdam Centraal.

Florida
Level Contributor
406 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Schiphol to Amsterdam Central Station

When I visited Amsterdam for the first time, I had many concerns and fears as well about thieves. Put your fears to rest Amsterdam is a very safe place. Dont let yourself be put in a situation that would be cause for concern. Always be aware of your surroundings, dont look like a lost and dumbfounded tourist. Study where you are going and know how to get there. If you need to ask how to get somewhere ask someone who works at the airport, ask someone who works at the train station, ask a policemen (though you may see very little police.) I have heard of theives that work in packs that will pose as plain clothed policemen on the trains. Dont sit in a train car by yourself, find a car with other tourists. If someone approaches you like in this situation, ask for proper identification, be persistent and they will usually give up and leave you alone. Always watch your bags.

Just use common sense and you will have a great time.