We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Otterlo

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York, New York
Level Contributor
813 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Otterlo

There is a museum in otterlo that has several Van Gogh paintings I'm really want to see. Is it far from Amsterdam? Has anyone been there I can't find much information about the city or museum anywhere other than the museum web site which seems to show a lot of great painting there.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,589 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Otterlo

Hi there,

You are talking about the Kroller-Müller museum (www.kmm.nl). It is inside the Hoge Veluwe park (http://www.hogeveluwe.nl/).

Both websites have a, rather complete, English section.

You can reach it with a 1-hour train journey from Amsterdam CS followed by a 30-minutes bus trip. Their website points to the phone service but www.9292ov.nl (only in Dutch) and www.ns.nl (also English section, includes the main bus journeys also) is easier from abroad.

We went there a few years back. Yes, nice museum esp. known for sculpture but also for its shares of good old Vincent.

Have a nice trip,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
440 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Otterlo

Kroller-Mueller is one of Holand's best kept secrets.

It's located in the middle of the national park of Hoge Veluwe. At the entrance of the park you can take a white bicycle to move around wherever you like as long as you like (you just dump the bike in a parking lot when you stop somewhere, and take another one when you want to go on). It's the biggest park in the Netherlands, and absolutely lovely.

The museum has a collection of late 19th - early 20th centuries art: the biggess collection of Van Gogh outside the Van G. museum, but also a lot of impressionists, fauvism, pointillism, Monet, Gauguin etc.. plus lots of Picasso, Braque, Matisse and other great names of that time.

The sculpture garden is unique, it has almost doubled in volume a few years back, and it has more or less every big name in sculpture from the past hundred years. My absolute favourite is Dubuffet's monumental "Enamel Garden".

It's not convenient to reach by public transportation. If you can, rent a car, much easier. Sometimes the Van Gogh museum organizes coaches to Otterlo, worth enquiring.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,589 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Otterlo

Only disagree with the latest paragraph.

It IS convenient to reach by public transport: a direct bus from Apeldoorn station stops almost at the doorstep. The trick, as far as I remember from a few years back, is that formally the museum is an 'enclave' and hence you don't need to pay a park entrance ticket if you only visit this place. However that is not recommended: the park is VERY nice too, including the white bikes, so better combine the too. St. Hubertus 'castle', amongst many other places, is definitely worth a walk/bike trip!

Have a nice trip,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Boston...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Otterlo

We just visited the Kroller-Mueller last week whilst staying in Amsterdam. Their web site says there's a direct bus from the Ede-Wageningen station, but that's not quite accurate. There's a bus that takes you to a bus that takes you to the driveway to the museum. And they charged us both for entrance to the park, 6 euros each, and entrance to the museum. So public transportation, at least from the Ede train station was cumbersome. Plus, you need to time your train/bus/bus trips as well. So do your homework before you go! The museum and sculpture park were lovely, though. It was my husband's favorite part of our trip.

Level Contributor
440 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Otterlo

Sorry you had a bad time with the transport. I warned you though :-)

We always try to go in May, when all the rhododendron bushes are in flower.

Did you get into the giant Dubuffet "enamel garden" ?