We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What iis it like in winter?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Australia
1 post
Save Topic
What iis it like in winter?

I will be visiting Holland in December this year and (coming from the tropics in Australia) I was wondering what it is like in winter. Does everything freeze over? Will we be able to walk to places we want to visit?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
356 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What iis it like in winter?

The winter weather isn't bad. It can be dull, cool, and damp. I have been there at all times off the year....but never so cold that I couldn't ride my bike or walk just about anywhere.

Level Contributor
440 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What iis it like in winter?

It freezes over sometimes. Which makes for lovely scenes of people skating on frozen canals.

On average the temperatures will be around freezing point at night, a bit above during the day. You should be able to walk most places.

Mind you.. It also happens (infrequently) that it freezes severely.

Eastbourne, New...
Level Contributor
520 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What iis it like in winter?

A good coat, hat and gloves, and you'll be fine. Due to the lack of hills in the country, the wind can blow in from the North Sea, and give quite a wind chill. But really, there are a lot more colder places yo could go, its not tha bad

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What iis it like in winter?

I love Holland in winter.

Coats, hats, gloves, Dutch pea soup, warming romantic fires and dimmed lights! Great. It's much better when there are less tourists and everyone sits inside in the warm cosy cafes.

You will probably feel it more coming from Australia but bring layers and hats etc as above and you'll love it!

I can't wait for my New Year visit!

Washington DC
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: What iis it like in winter?

We have been there once before for New Years and loved it. It isn't too cold at that time of year and we liked how much easier it was to get to all of the attractions. And New Years in Amsterdam is wonderful. Each neighborhood has its own fireworks display, so if one looks out on the city from a tall building, you can see hundreds of fireworks going off at once. One of the most magnificent things I have ever seen. Can't wait to get back there...7 weeks left!!