We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The big fancy North Sea Dam, and the ocean sensors

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
417 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
The big fancy North Sea Dam, and the ocean sensors

Hello local experts (and MarkRandom too!), do any of you know about tours or a tour of the big huge miracle of engineering that is supposed to stop the North Sea from coming into town? I am very interested in this technology because I saw a tv show about it on the discovery channel. And how far out to sea do the sensors go?

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The big fancy North Sea Dam, and the ocean sensors

Hi there

A good overview can be found here

http://www.neeltjejans.nl/en/home.html

In the left orange colomn, click attractions, and you can view all parts of this so called Delta Project.

To get there from Amsterdam:

Address: Neeltje Jans, Faelweg 5, 4354 RB Vrouwenpolder

Public transport:

Train to Rotterdam Zuidplein, then bus 133 direction Vlissingen.

Or

Train to Vlissingen, then transfer to bus 133

direction Rotterdam.

Both Exit busstop Neeltje Jans/WaterLand

Info 0900-9292 (domestic only) or www.ov9292.nl

Regards

Marcel

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
417 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The big fancy North Sea Dam, and the ocean sensors

Thanks Marcel. How do the people of the Netherlands feel about his project?

Level Contributor
440 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The big fancy North Sea Dam, and the ocean sensors

Obviously the locals feel safer with it than without :-)

Also, it's a neat piece of engineering.

Finally, I understand that a lot of the techniques developed for this project have been leveraged in big projects around the globe. Meaning $$$ for the Dutch companies involved.

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The big fancy North Sea Dam, and the ocean sensors

Hi there.

How do we feel without these projects??

Simple, without these projects we wouldn't be here.....

26 pct of our country is below seelevel and would be flooded if these projects weren't there.

I just saw our Rijkswaterstaat People in New Orleans, advising your government on the watermanagement measures that have to be taken to prevent the breakthrough of the dikes around New Orleans in future. Furthermore, in my little opinion, there are more measures to be taken, and it will cost a lot of money. I hear there have been made mistakes in the past in measuring the risk compared to the costs in USD, however, not measuring the risk compared to the loss of lives.....

To give an estimation: Only the so called storm surge barrier in Westerschelde, which is just a part of all the Deltaplan, cost EUR

2.5 bilion then around 1985, it took 8 years to have it build, and it still cost EUR 8 million to keep it maintained througout the year.

The influcence on the ecosystem is huge, so they had to build the dikes and everything in the way they did it now, thus allowing the storm surge barrier to open and close.....so a flexible way of protection. The whole Deltaplan is designed that way, to leave the ecosystem with as less influence as possinle.

Nowadays, Rijkswaterstaat is already thinking about additional measures as the water hight in the world's seas is rising all the time, and time comes that our dikes will not be able to hold.

Therefore, they are thinking about additional dikes, raising higher dikes and they are even thinking about appointing area's with little poplulation, or only cattle and agricultural areas which they can flood in the event of a major rise in waterlevels.

SO, it is a constant struggle to keep nature a step behind....and our feet dry..... ;-)

Very intersting though, and for me it is kind of a hobby to keep posted about what's happening, furthermore a little bit of pride as well, when worldwide the dutch expertise is requested on these matters.

Look at these websites, in dutch, but it gives an impression:

http://www.ahn.nl/demo/ahn0m.jpg

The blue part is below seelevel....

http://www.rijkswaterstaat.nl/wateroverzicht/

Regards

Marcel

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
417 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The big fancy North Sea Dam, and the ocean sensors

Oh yes, I learned in an oceanography class I took (required for undergrad) that the water worldwide is rising about 4 inches a year because of the melting ice. I am very interested in this topic.

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
417 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The big fancy North Sea Dam, and the ocean sensors

Also, if you copy the text (in any language) and paste it into Microsoft Word, you can go the the tools pull down, go to language, and translate to whatever language you like. The grammar might be off but you can understand.

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The big fancy North Sea Dam, and the ocean sensors

Hi there again.

I usually take this one:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Regards

Marcel