We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special Meal?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Special Meal?

Visiting Amsterdam with my family and want to go out for special meal for my daughters 18th birthday so looking for really good restaurant ideally somewhere near Dam square. on Sat night. Somewhere that is a nice setting and excellent food but not too stuffy ... dont mind spending a lot if its worth it!!

Any suggestions will be gratefully recvieved.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Special Meal?

The website "special bite" has quite a few good restaurants listed.

http://www.specialbite.com/?ic=1&iLang=2

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Special Meal?

Well with so many recomendations it was a tough choice. Left it too late to book into some but decided to have two very different evenings. The first discovering Indonesian cuisne at Kantjil & de Tijger ... casual and busy atmosphere, freindly satff with great food thats a bit different ... had two of the set courses with 11,12 different dishes which was great and only worked out E30 per head. Thanks for the recomendation she really enjoyed it. The next night wanted something 'posh' so as someone suggested tried out the 'Prefit' Restaurant in the Krasnopolsky hotel in Dam square. Fantastic setting, absolutely great service and the food was really excellent quality ...could believe it was 3 courses for E35 /head. So two great meals without breaking the bank and one very delighted daughter! Thanks for you help!

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,862 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Special Meal?

Sounds like you made two good choices , well done!

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Special Meal?

Really chuffed that the hotel restaurant worked out. Might go there myself in december as the day after we return is our 2nd wedding anniversary so may go for a posh celebratory meal. Was there a dress code/child policy?

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: Special Meal?

Hi Caroline,

wasnt any specific dress code but all the waitors are all dressed up and so we felt good dressing up a bit but smart casual is fine. On the child front ... think it just depends on your kids ... the waitors are very friendly even though its quite a formal environment but I think you would feel self conscious if your kids were making a lot of noise.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Special Meal?

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I have emailed to see if kids are allowed. My daughter, who will be 2, is usually a good girl, especially in public!! (aren't they always angels with others around!)

Thanks again!

Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: Special Meal?

Jamie Oliver has a great place in Amsterdam called 15, a very nice location. On the other side of the Ij ( go there by ferry ) you'll find Wilhelminadock, a restaurant with excellent views.