We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bidding on a 4 star in the center

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,726 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Bidding on a 4 star in the center

The first thing I see as I travel around to several different forums and from emails from friends? The NH Carlton is in play. More so than the NH Amsterdam Centre.....at least right now with recent bids.

And for the summer months ahead it looks like the price point is somewhere around $62 or $63 USD for the lowest winning bid.

July 22-26 $65 first bid. Carlton

July 8-10 $63. First try at $61 failed. Carlton

August 11-13 $69 which was a counter offer. Carlton

July 21-27 $63 first bid Carlton

There may be other 4's in play. But if so they are not being posted.

Mentioned in this post
NH Carlton Amsterdam
NH Carlton Amsterdam
2,688 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
NH Amsterdam Centre
NH Amsterdam Centre
2,897 Reviews
Mauro Mansion
Mauro Mansion
#4 of 379 hotels in Amsterdam
Hotel Sebastian's
Hotel Sebastian's
#5 of 379 hotels in Amsterdam
Pillows Anna van den Vondel
Pillows Anna van den Vondel
#6 of 379 hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,808 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2141. Re: Bidding on a 4 star in the center

Recently I've booked hotels in Antwerp, Munich, Imst, Lyon, and The Dolomites and none of those were less than twice that much, let alone for a nice hotel in an expensive city like Amsterdam. Great deals.

Mentioned in this post
Antwerp
Antwerp
Antwerp Province, Belgium
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
UK
Level Contributor
345 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2142. Re: Bidding on a 4 star in the center

I'm starting to feel I massively overpaid for my trip to NH Amsterdam Centre!!! ($85)

Quick story - whilst I was queuing to check in - there was a guy just in front of me - who was looking to book a room for the night (bit of a mess up with his previous hotel and he needed a room for one night) - anyway - from what I could hear from where I was standing - it appeared the hotel was more or less fully booked for that night (it was a Wednesday) - but the hotel receptionist/manager seemed to offer a room that had a problem with the water which meant that there was no hot water available for the room - the customer accepted and actually was thankful - I was desperately waiting to hear the price - and then it came - 144 Euros!!

Mentioned in this post
NH Amsterdam Centre
NH Amsterdam Centre
2,897 Reviews
UK
Level Contributor
345 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2143. Re: Bidding on a 4 star in the center

Reply to #2136 (Dutchguy):

Just read your review - seemed you stayed in the same room as me (537) - just to let you know - the keyboard on the TV was for internet access via the TV - which was available for 12 euros (I think) for a period of 14 hours - or, presumably, would also have been part of the bargain 24.50 euros package deal for "everything" - as you say, having to pay 35c/minute for the lobby PC was a shock to the system - I didn't pay - and the TV itself was not exactly becoming of a 4 star hotel - but as you only paid 54 euros, I guess you can't complain too much!!

But ultimately, revieiwing hotels is all about what you actually got (versus the expected standard of the hotel) - not what you pay - as John Md says - booking direct you'd have been lucky to got a shared-bathroom, single bed room for 54 euros - however, knowing you were booking a 1-star hotel/hostel would have lowered your expectations for your stay.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2144. Re: Bidding on a 4 star in the center

I had room 537 in NH Amsterdam Centre, yes. Felt happy at first (no noise and airco switched off) , but then at night did not like the bed at all and bad TV and some sounds (slamming doors, some screaming outside). But 54 euro was a bargain and I quickly reached the Rijksmuseum which was what I came for.

For me there's always the choice to stay at home for free and travel 1 hour by train from my city.

At home I have all what I need and in hotels I don't, so....... I think I will forget about any Dutch hotels from now on.

Edited: 11:27 am, August 28, 2013
Mentioned in this post
NH Amsterdam Centre
NH Amsterdam Centre
2,897 Reviews
Rijksmuseum
Rijksmuseum
37,365 Reviews
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2145. Re: Bidding on a 4 star in the center

Friend just got a winning bid,, NH Amsterdam Centre dec 27-30 $61.00

Mentioned in this post
NH Amsterdam Centre
NH Amsterdam Centre
2,897 Reviews
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,726 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2146. Re: Bidding on a 4 star in the center

Dec 8-9 2013

Nh Amsterdam Centre ---Central Canal Zone

$55

The lowest price point at the time of that bid was somewhere between $51 and $55

Edited: 9:03 am, September 01, 2013
Mentioned in this post
NH Amsterdam Centre
NH Amsterdam Centre
2,897 Reviews
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2147. Re: Bidding on a 4 star in the center

got me beat nice

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
146 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2148. Re: Bidding on a 4 star in the center

I just grabbed the NH Amsterdam Centre on an express deal for $70 for Dec. 28. Seemed pretty good given it is virtually twice that on their website. I noticed, however, that the PL confirmation specifies that the hotel will charge an an additional 5% (in this case $5.00) to be paid at checkout. Recalling the discussion on this thread about disputes over city tax being charged, I am wondering if this -- a disclosed hotel charge over and above the normal PL credit card charge -- is something new, or did I miss something? SEPARATE QUESTION: I'm going to be back in Amsterdam in late January. seems like more expensive time. There is express deal for 4-star, central canal zone, for $118 (I believe). Do you think I can reasonably assume this too is the NH Amsterdam Centre? Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
NH Amsterdam Centre
NH Amsterdam Centre
2,897 Reviews
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2149. Re: Bidding on a 4 star in the center

With express deals you do have to pay tax, if applicable, on top of the room rate. Just as you do with Hotwire bookings. So, yes, you will have to pay the extra.

The deals including tax are Name Your Own Price (NYOP) bookings.

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2150. Re: Bidding on a 4 star in the center

I have two wins for the same date:

First win from Priceline UK website:

November 23-25 2013

2 Rooms

£38 ($61)

NH Amsterdam Centre

(prices exclusive of tax)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second win from Priceline US website:

November 23-25 2013

1 Room

$88

NH Carlton

(prices exclusive of tax)

Mentioned in this post
NH Amsterdam Centre
NH Amsterdam Centre
2,897 Reviews
NH Carlton Amsterdam