We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

13yr old daughter and mom headed to Amsterdam

Williamsburg, VA
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
13yr old daughter and mom headed to Amsterdam

Im taking my daughter to Amsterdam next week for 4 days-getting there on the 29th of July and leaving on August 2. Besides the Anne Frank house-any suggestions on what to do/see?

Also is it safe for us at night time to walk around?

Thanks for any help

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 13yr old daughter and mom headed to Amsterdam

Hi there, if you and your daughter are into museums then you can't go wrong with Amsterdam. The Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum are well worth a visit. There is also Artis Zoo in the city which is excellent. You will have absolutely no trouble at all in finding things to do.

As for walking about at night it's like any city - just keep your wits about you. I've been there 4 times now and I haven't seen any trouble at all. In fact, walking around the "sleazy" Red Light District is about the safest I've ever felt walking around any major city at night. Not that you'll be wanting to take your daughter there - although it does always slightly remind me of a theme park!

You and your daughter will love the place!

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 13yr old daughter and mom headed to Amsterdam

Hello , most of the major attractions are listed and detailed on the browse bar , top left of this site.

Yes its perfectly safe to walk around in the evening.

It may be worth you while to get an Iamsterdsam card. see

www.iamsterdamcard.com

or at least a canalbus day ticket, which is valid until 12 noon the next day. Reductions for 13 year old. see

www.canal.nl

Enjoy !!