We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Amsterdam day trip...recommended?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
167 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Paris to Amsterdam day trip...recommended?

My boyfriend and I are traveling to Paris in September and wanted to try and make a trip to Amsterdam for a day. We would arrive in Amsterdam by train at 10.30am on a Wednesday and leave for Paris at about 6.30pm that same night.

My question is if this is worth it or not, and if it is worth it, what are the things we should try and see/do in our limited amount of time?

Thanks for your help!

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris to Amsterdam day trip...recommended?

Hello! I spent 2 days in Amsterdam in February of 2007 and it is a cool little city. I don't know what your and your boyfriend's interests are, so this is not an easy question for anyone to answer. Amsterdam certainly does not have the magnitude of sights and attractions of a London, Paris, or Rome. But, some things to consider doing are:

1. The Rijksmuseum. I did not go, but have read that it is very nice. Art and history.

2. The Vincent Van Gogh museum. I have read it is also very cool.

3. The Anne Frank House. I am a history teacher, so naturally I was drawn to it. Not a great deal to see.

4. There is a small museum dedicated to the Netherlands resistance during WWII. I visited and wished I had gone to the Van Gogh museum instead.

5. The Red Light District--a must see! Walk around and just soak up the atmosphere, especially as the sun goes down and it really gets interesting and heats up!

These are just some suggestions. Check out a travel book on Amsterdam for much more. I have traveled to many European cities and, if I can offer some advice, since you will only be in Amsterdam for 8 hours, don't feel as though you need to fill that time finding attractions, going to museums, etc...You are on vacation---relax, walk the city, enjoy the sights and sounds, sample lots of food, go shopping, take lots of pictures, and just soak it all up! It is a very cool city that can be explored on foot very easily. Or, consider renting bicycles! Enjoy and best of luck!

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Amsterdam day trip...recommended?

Much though I love to praise the joys of Amsterdam I would have to answer your question ´No, it isn´t worth it.) Eight hours train time plus however it will take you to get to/from Gare du Nord does not justify eight hours in town.

Either make it an overnight trip or take a day trip to somewhere closer.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,481 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Amsterdam day trip...recommended?

As long as you are prepared for a long tiring day,go for it. As with the last post I would suggest picking a couple of things to see and spend the rest of the time wandering the streets and canals. I would recommend a 1 hour canal boat tour

Have fun

Moscow
Level Contributor
209 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris to Amsterdam day trip...recommended?

1 day is not sufficient. Will be just too tight. One wrong turn and you lose an hour..

But still, if you must go, take a night train /flight from Paris so that you reach Ams at night and you have a full day. Start early and you should be able to cover pretty much everything. (Except red light district tour)

Just a word of caution if you are considering touring the red light dist.. there are excellent tours available.. don't try to go alone...though the area is quite safe, but lot of pick pocketing incidents

Whey don't you stay over at Amsterdam and leave for paris early morning next day??

Another alternative.. we tried it and it was quite ok.. spend night at Rotterdam and catch the 7.55 IC to Brussels -> Paris ( arrival 11.35 am)

You will not have to get up very early in this case

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
167 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris to Amsterdam day trip...recommended?

Thanks for all the information, it's very much appreciated!

travelingcats14
Level Contributor
149 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris to Amsterdam day trip...recommended?

I agree with the posts that say spend a night but if you are set on a day trip please don't miss the Anne Frank House. It is quite moving and a highlight. If it is during the week you could go next door and visit the Westerkirk, a beautiful church next to the house. That said make sure you get your tickets to Anne Frank online before you go. With your short time frame you need to know that you will not wait in line. By the way, you can get online tickets for most museums and other places in Amsterdam.

We spent 6 days in Amsterdam and were never bored. Great city!

Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
Level Contributor
820 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris to Amsterdam day trip...recommended?

You will love Amsterdam and be mad that you only have a few hours. I have to say it doesn't seem worth it;seems like you'd be cheating yourself. But even if you just go and wander around you will have a great time. Amsterdam is very small.

This has nothing to do with Amsterdam but a great day trip from Paris is to Epernay and the Champagne cellars. We went on a Saturday morning in a bus that was only about 1/3 full. We tasted champagne before and after lunch. It was fabulous and not stressful at all.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris to Amsterdam day trip...recommended?

A day trip to Amsterdam from Paris is just not worth it. Amsterdam is well worth a week or more on its own. you would be sorry after you got there and won't want to leave.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,005 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris to Amsterdam day trip...recommended?

at least a week in amsterdam is needed...;-)

10. Re: Paris to Amsterdam day trip...recommended?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, October 05, 2009