We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mixed Hotel reviews on here ?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Mixed Hotel reviews on here ?

I have spent the last week trying to pick a hotel in Amsterdam, the one common theme is that no matter which one I was about to opt for, I would find an average of 1 stinking review for every 4 or 5 good ones.

In the end I plumped for a Deluxe Room in the Jolly Carlton, fingers are now firmly crossed now that our experience is similar to those who gave it a glowing report.

Is there a general problem with hotel service / rooms / cleanliness in Amsterdam or have I been reading too many reviews ?

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mixed Hotel reviews on here ?

Well Jolly Charlton has a good repuation and a nice location. I dont think you will be disappointed there.

There is always something that will not be right for the individual. Alot of it can be put down to over expectation, some to the odd bad experience, some to simple misunderstandings , some to gross bad service and surroundings. In general if a hotel has 80-90% glowing reports then I think it speaks for itself.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mixed Hotel reviews on here ?

Thanks Geoff, that's what I've based it on, really looking forward to the trip and enjoying reading all the advice on these forums, (mostly handed out by yourself).

One quick question, is the hotel a long walk from the station, I'm going to take the train from Schipol.

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mixed Hotel reviews on here ?

Hallo Chris , thanks for your nice comments ! Yes , its too far to walk with cases etc.

You an take the tram from outside Central Station and get off at Mount or even Rembrandplein. 3/4 stops. Tram 4, 9, 14 or 16 24, 25. Two Spaces stamped on a stipticket. or if there are 2/3 people almost as cheap to get a taxi. Cost about Euro 10.

Hope this helps , come back if you need more info.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mixed Hotel reviews on here ?

Cheers Geoff, I'll splash out and get a taxi, it's not every day you visit Amsterdam.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mixed Hotel reviews on here ?

ChrisWoods: I think Geoff is correct: it's hard to please everyone all the time. I generally pick ones that have the least amount of bad reviews . . and . I read the bad reviews to see if their issues would concern me (i.e., small rooms in Europe do not bother me but might bother someone else).

I've been to Holland about 20 times and I pass your choice of hotel all the time. I think it is a great location - You're near the museaums, the high end shopping (PC Hoofstraat) and the regular shopping (Kalverstraat), great shops on Rokin, a good friend works in the Rokerij right across from your hotel. My spelling might be off -- but I am close.

I hope you have a great time!!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mixed Hotel reviews on here ?

Thanks philly, just over a week now till I go, can't wait.

Ireland
Level Contributor
922 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mixed Hotel reviews on here ?

What you have found, 1 bad review to every 4 or 5 good ones is par for the course for everywhere not just Amsterdam.

As Geoffboxer says if 80-90% are good, it should be ok, I've always found that myself. Again in a similar vein to his, nothing will please everyone.

I also wonder about rival organisation, disgruntled employees, etc, writing a bad review. My favourite hotels have had bad reviews, so just go with the majority.

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mixed Hotel reviews on here ?

Yep , interesting point there jaygee. The one about disgruntled employees etc. There could be the odd one creep in , but in the main again I think most of the reviews are genuine.

I too have a favorite hotel , that has in the main , good and glowing reviews. During the past year this hotel has also had a couple of "stinkers". I stay there 4/5 times every year and know without a doubt , that these reviews are unfounded. I have spoken to the hotel owner and manager about these. Their explanations of the complaints, if thats what you can call them, bare no relation to what was posted by the Bad reviewers.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mixed Hotel reviews on here ?

Having read jaygee's comments above I went back to have a look at the reviews again. It's genuinely bizarre! There's no middle ground, mostly good reviews highlighting the helpful and friendly staff, but the odd terrible review highlighting the totally rude unhelpful staff.

What do those people do to get such normally helful and friendly staff so up-set ?

I wouldn't like to comment on people I don't know from Adam, but I'm sure attitiude must be a factor.

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mixed Hotel reviews on here ?

Think your right Chris, attitude plays a big part , either that or they dont appreciate the laid back Dutch sence of humor !