We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with teens to Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Hyannisport...
Level Contributor
73 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling with teens to Amsterdam

I'm taking my two teen boys (13 & 18) to Amsterdam in late July and am wondering which hotel to stay in, where to hang out, and how feasable it is to visit The Hague, Delft, Zaandvort or Gouda or any other place too good to pass up. Does one take teens near or through the red light district? I have no idea what it's like! As far as hotels are concerned, what would be better...all of us staying in 1 room, get a suite, or get 2 rooms? Can I get into a nice, modern hotel for 200 euro per night? I hope someone will help!

DC
Level Contributor
794 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Travelling with teens to Amsterdam

Hiya Agent~

Also, if you let your boys wander about by themselves (as most teens are wont to do) the drinking laws in A'dam are MUCH different to those here in the States. The 18 year old will of course be allowed to drink there, and it is quite possible a big 13 year old mightn't be questioned.

Keep that in mind.

Cheers,

Dev

Amsterdam...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Travelling with teens to Amsterdam

The Vondelpark is a very fun environment for teens and in summer there are tons of open air events.

This site is in Dutch but the pics will give you a rought idea:

http://www.openluchttheater.nl/

The red light feels very energetic with lots of people drinking, smoking and oogling the women in the windows. I find it rather depressing and a tame form of seedy (more so in the day actually when business is slower and the junkies are more prevelant). But it might be worth a walk through on your way to Nieuwmarkt (the China-town strip). Not much to actually do there but buy fries or doughnuts and look in the windows.

I would definitely get bikes and just get a map that shows the bike only lanes. These are very easy to ride and you are separated from traffic. If you take the free ferries North from centraal you are in a very rural small town area great for biking. You can spend a nice day and ride to Edam if you are fit!

Enjoy.

DC
Level Contributor
794 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Travelling with teens to Amsterdam

Isn't the area where the ferry from Station Centraal lands very heavily immigrant now? Last time there I took one ferry, and walked through the area and caught the other one, at a different debarkation site, back.

Not quite as bad as Bijlmermeer, but still I'd think twice about going through there again.

Or did I just somehow wind up in a bad section that doesn't necessarily reflect the whole area?

Amsterdam...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Travelling with teens to Amsterdam

When you first exit the ferry it is a totally safe area, ethnically mixed, but a bit industrial and not too pretty. You need to ride straight back about fifteen minutes and you'll be in parks or head to the water's edge and you'll be near water and farmlands.