We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with teens to Amsterdam

West Hyannisport...
Level Contributor
73 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling with teens to Amsterdam

I'm taking my two teen boys (13 & 18) to Amsterdam in late July and am wondering which hotel to stay in, where to hang out, and how feasable it is to visit The Hague, Delft, Zaandvort or Gouda or any other place too good to pass up. Does one take teens near or through the red light district? I have no idea what it's like! As far as hotels are concerned, what would be better...all of us staying in 1 room, get a suite, or get 2 rooms? Can I get into a nice, modern hotel for 200 euro per night? I hope someone will help!

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with teens to Amsterdam

All the places you mentioned as possible visits are simple to get to by train from Central Station. There are also Standard bus trips with guides run by several companies. www.lindbergh.nl will give you details and prices.

It will not be a problem to strool through the Red Light District , but its your choice if you think your 13 year old is able to handle it.

Most good 3* hotels do three bedded room for under Euro 200 a night. Browes the reviews on this site ,or check out a booking site. www.amsterdamhotels.com will give you ideas. They often have good deals.

Come back if I can be of any further help.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with teens to Amsterdam

My husband, 15 year old daughter and I just returned from the Netherlands. We spent one night in Amsterdam at the Amsterdam American Hotel. We had a nice large room with a kingsize bed. We had the option of adding an extra bed to the room but found we all fit well into the kingsize bed and had no trouble sleeping. We paid 210 euros and that included a delicious breakfast buffet for the three of us. We loved the hotel. It gets Frommers best location award.

As far as the Red Light district goes, we did not go there. Friends of ours who were staying close to there did take their children there. They saw scantily clad women standing in doorways and overall the adults thought it very sad. The teenagers thought it was pretty cool and also saw people walking around smoking marijuana in that area. Where we stayed there was none of that evident. Our area was a fun interesting place that was also quiet at night. We were close to everywhere we wanted to go, Ann Frank house, museums, etc. But then nothing is very far from you in Amsterdam. One of the best things about it!

West Hyannisport...
Level Contributor
73 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with teens to Amsterdam

Thankyou geoff and Molly for your helpful posts. We will want to visit the Anne Frank house and Van Gogh museum for sure. Otherwise, I wonder what other places my teen boys will enjoy...you know, something "cool". Canal taxi? Rollerblading?

What do teen boys like to do there?

I'm thinking of spending a day at the beach, if it's nice. Should we go to The Hague, or Zandvoort? We have 4 days to spend in The Netherlands. Should we go to Delft, or use our time in Amsterdam and buy Delft there? I hear there is a diamond museum or factory, also?

So many places, never enough time!

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with teens to Amsterdam

Agent Q , you can buy a day pass for the canal bus, leaves every 20 mins. 14 stops near most of the major attractions, museums etc. Three different routes, hop on and off all day , and till 12 noon the next day !

Adults Euro 16 , 4 -13 years Euro 11.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling with teens to Amsterdam

Q,

Bicycle riding is everywhere in Holland. There are bikes for rent in Amsterdam. Your boys might like that. Just be careful and watch out for cars, other bikers, buses and trams.

MB

West Hyannisport...
Level Contributor
73 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling with teens to Amsterdam

I have another question...How much is a casual lunch at one of the nice cafes, perhaps a sandwich and coffee or soda? (Not sure what the typical menu is)

How much is a casual (but good) dinner per person?

We don't need to go to any formal restaurants, but I'd like some quality food at the best price. :-)

Thankyou for your additional suggestions.

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling with teens to Amsterdam

Best advice is to browes www.iens.nl for restaurants.

Light lunch Euro 8-10. Uncomplicated dinner 18-20.

The above prices are an over gereralisation as there is such awide aray of restaurants and snack bars.

florida
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling with teens to Amsterdam

Agent O

Have you ever considered an apt.? When we are traveling with another couple we do this. It is cheaper and much nicer than a hotel room. After running non stop all day its so nice to go back to an apt., pop some pop corn, play cards etc. There are many web sights. We found our apt on www.stayamsterdam.com Good luck. mk

Florida
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling with teens to Amsterdam

So you want to take you boys to the topless beach outside of Amsterdam? I'm sure they will enjoy the view.

The RLD, in my opinion, is fine for teenage American boys to see as a walk through. I've seen school groups tour through. It would be a good opportunity to share your views about this behavior while witnessing the reality of every major western city in the world and express your own opinion on the dutch solution.

If I were you, I'd rent an apartment. You can find them by searching Google for: amsterdam apartments .

upstate NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling with teens to Amsterdam

Take them to the Heineken Experience, there is a lot of interactivity as you learn about the brewing of beer. You get three beers or three soft drinks and a souvenir glass as part of admission. I don't even like Heineken but the tour was fun. Rick Steves calls it the most fun brewery tour in Eurpoe.

The canal bus is a must - you get a totally different perspective on the city from the water. We saw people walking around smoking marijuana too and we avoided the Red Light district. The flower market is a must although there are lots of differnt kinds of pot seeds avaiable and "grow your own" starter kits.

Zaandvort is where we stayed, it's only a half hour from Central Station. The beach is about a block or so away from the station. There are a zillion striped shells there. It was too cold and windy to swim though. (July 18-19 2005) There is a "Circus" on one of the main eating/dining streets with lots of arcade games, they would probably like that too.