We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timer

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
5 posts
Save Topic
first timer

My boyfriend & I are thinking of travelling to Amsterdam from Dec 29 to Jan 3rd. (celebrate the new year right!) Is this enough time to see most we should in one trip? Any tips in picking a hotel and what area to stay in? We would like to do some sightseeing, stop at some "coffeeshops" and of course enjoy Amsterdam! I have heard great things on this site about the Hotel Piet Nien but is it too far away from the center of things? We don't mind walking but in December I am a little nervous we might freeze to death!!

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timer

Hi Jed , your sign says you are from Amsterdam !!!! Well Piet Hien Hotel is near Vondell Park , a short distance from Liedseplein, and near tram route, so that shuldnt cause you any problems.

Depends which area you want to be in really. No you cant possibly visit everywhere and everything in 4/5 days , but it will give you ideas , should you wish to return.

new york
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: first timer

HI Geoff,

I am from Rochester, NY actually. Must of messed up... So would you recommend the Hotel Piet Hein?

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first timer

Well jed, dont think you can go far wrong with this hotel. I have not stayed there myself but judging by the rave reviews on this site (No2 out of 300 odd) it seems to be a great place.

Transport and location shouldnt be a problem at all.Close enough to walk to the Leidseplien and Rembrandtplien areas.

Hope this helps...

lancashire
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first timer

Hi Jedthedog,

December is a fantastic time to go to Amsterdam, it's so christmasy and magical.

Yes i have to admit it is very cold, but if you wrap up well you'll be fine, it's very romantic at this time of year. my husband and i went for our second honeymoon in ~December 2003.

the little pubs are so cosy, dark and friendly and a great place to retreat from the cold weather.

it's much quieter this time of year, so you'll be able to stroll round at ease.

if you enjoy art, a must see is van gogh's paintings in the van gogh museum...they are breath taking!

Amsterdam is an amazing city, so chilled out and relaxed, but watch you don't get in the way of the bike lanes you'll soon find out why.

the red light area is a must, it's not frightening or intimidating, it's fascinating to just walk through.

there's a pretty decent hotel called the Victoria which is directly facing the trainstation and a few yards away. it's got a small pool and spa, not supberb, but not bad either.