We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam ATMs compliant with Bank of America

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam ATMs compliant with Bank of America

Hi all - I am traveling with my wife at the end of this month to Amsterdam and Brussels. I am trying to find a bank that honors the networks that my current bank, Bank of America is on. They subscribe to the "Interlink", "Plus", and "Star" networks. The logos are on the back of an ATM card. I have looked at BOA's website and they have no "partner" banks in Holland or Belgium so I am trying to avoid getting hosed on fees. Any advice is appreciated.

Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam ATMs compliant with Bank of America

As an amendment to the original post:

I've traveled to Europe other times and have used ATMs so I am aware of the benefit and such. I know the generals of this and searched the previous topics. I am SPECIFICALLY hoping to find which banks in Amsterdam/Brussels are on that network!

Thanks!!!

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
197 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam ATMs compliant with Bank of America

Any Dutch ATM which accepts VISA (ABN Amro, ING, Rabobank, maybe more) will be able to process "Plus" transactions.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,681 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam ATMs compliant with Bank of America

Both 'Plus' (and 'Cirrus') cards seem to be accepted by just about every ATM in Amsterdam. I've never had any problems.

Hollywood, ca
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam ATMs compliant with Bank of America

When we went in October, my husband was able to use his BofA ATM pretty much everywhere, but my BofA debit card would not work at any ATM I tried, b/c the bank had oh so helpfully triggered my fraud alert after I used the card in France. So you might give them a call just to let them know you'll be out of the country.

As far as the fees go, if they don't have any partner banks, you'll just have to use whatever's available and take out the maximum each time.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,100 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam ATMs compliant with Bank of America

Or open a free checking account and fund it with your travel money, and use a less punitive debit card at the ATM.

I have used Compass Bank (southeast US regional bank) and they assess NO atm charges and 1% foreign trans fee on ATM w/ds and 2% on purchases made with the debit card.

Now I have a Capital One debit card - haven't used it 'over there' yet, but I expect to have $1.50 ATM fee and 0% foreign trans fee.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,949 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam ATMs compliant with Bank of America

i wore out my american airlines credit union visa debit card while in a'dam with no problems..they subscribe to the interlink/pulse/plus/co-op network..so you B of A debit card should work..just make sure your pin is 4 characters...i dont know the fees charged..i need money and i didnt care.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam ATMs compliant with Bank of America

You should use a BoA check card rather than the ordinary ATM card. The check card will have the Visa logo on it, and you will have no problem using it anywhere Visa is accepeted including almost all ATMs. Be aware that you will be charged for a non BoA ATM transaction. I am not sure, but I beleive the bank charges $5 plus Visa charges 1% of the withdrawl. So if you withdaw 200 euros ($300), your charge woud be $8. BoA has partner banks (BNP Paribas in France and Deustch Bank in Germany) where you can use the ATM for no fee. I am not sure if either of these have branches in Belgium or the Netherlands. I was in France in '06 and used BNP ATM's several times. As I said there was no fee at all, just the amount based on the exchange rate of that day.

Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
280 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amsterdam ATMs compliant with Bank of America

I just called my bank and they said that they do not charge anything at all for using an ATM in Europe and charge 1% for credit card. Delta Community Credit Union. Works for me.

9. Re: Amsterdam ATMs compliant with Bank of America

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, September 22, 2009