We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation from amsterdam to cologne

kda
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
transportation from amsterdam to cologne

What is the cheapest way? The train fares I am finding seem a bit steep. Am I finding the best fares? We are only wanting to do an overnight trip-Dec 27-28.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
870 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation from amsterdam to cologne

Well, for those dates, train is the cheapest... Normally there are also coach connection by Eurolines, but i just checked and it seems they are not going on 27th dec.

The cheapest train ticket I could find on www.ns.nl for 27 there and 28 back is 61 euro for an adult. Still too steep? Maybe you didn't "play" with the times trains depart...

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,837 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation from amsterdam to cologne

The cheapest I found was 38 euros going out on most trains apart from the first one on the 27th and coming back on the last one on the 28th. otherwise between 72 & 107 euros.

Strangely I also checked on the German railsite bahn, who actually operate the train and they were more expensive!!

Alternatively hire a car and drive but I would personally take the very comfortable ICE train. The website for the Dutch international site is

www.nsinternational.nl

Unfortunately only in dutch and not so user friendly. You need to select the destination (besteming) as Keulen HBF

Ridgewood, New...
Level Contributor
731 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation from amsterdam to cologne

it is cheaper to buy the ticket in Centraal station but it takes time. I saved 6 Euros over the web price on bahn.de but I waited 40 minutes. the only thing is that in the station they have more ioptions for you than that web site.

Maybe look into trains in andout of Arnhem, EIjndhoven, or Venlo,for the overnight it may be different and then you can get to Amsterdam on your own.

4. Re: transportation from amsterdam to cologne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, September 13, 2009