We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to and from airport to center of town

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Des Moines, Iowa
4 posts
Save Topic
to and from airport to center of town

I arrive at the airport at 8:35 a.m. and departure is 12:55 p.m Is it possible to get into the center of town and sightsee a little and get back in time to board my flight. I will be traveling alone with little baggage. I have never been to Amsterdam and would love to at least get a glimpse. Any suggestions??

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: to and from airport to center of town

hi , well I think Erik has already answered your question on your other thread. I agree it will be risky as for the reasons he stated.

However trains run regularly from right underneath the Airport , just do not stay too far from Centraal station when you get there and allow plenty of time to get back to the Airport. Normal train journey takes about 20 minutes ... geoff

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: to and from airport to center of town

Four hours and twenty minutes is a long time to spend at an airport. It's true that you have to be a bit careful, but you could probably spend at least an hour in the city and be okay. And the great thing is you can see a LOT in that hour.

Here's a link to the Amsterdam Layover Guide that explains all the timing, the train schedule, and a few options for a layover:

amsterdamlogue.com/amsterdam-layover-guide-g…

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: to and from airport to center of town

Or try doing a forum search on ''layover'' for example. There have been tons of other threads about this topic already in the past.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
116 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: to and from airport to center of town

I vote NO. Stay at the airport because anything can happen in between your travel to and from Amsterdam from the airport, and you can miss your flight. Just plan on a few days in Amsterdam for your next trip.

5. Re: to and from airport to center of town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, September 13, 2009